Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Researching Cambodia and Ankor Wat and What To Wear In Temples



Problems
What should you pack or buy in advance? What should you book?
World famous sites - such as Ankor Wat, Cambodia, trip of a lifetime. Is it safe? Where do I keep my passport - on me or in the hotel? What do I wear?

The name was means temple.

Answers
Picking a reliable hotel in advance should enable you to be briefed. But what about packing?

So far my research on Wikipedia and TripAdvisor suggests:
Ankor Wat and other old temples are not just historic ruin, they are considered holy sitee with a dress code and if you are wearing beach clothes you won't be admitted.

1 Avoid undergrowth and look where you are treading - there could be snakes in temple ruins.
2 A light scarf to cover shoulders is not enough, a piece of clothing covering shoulders is needed.
3 Sarongs are unsuitable for climbing steep steps as they reveal women's legs to those below. Wear trousers or leggings (which would be hot.
4 In order to wear cooler clothes for part of the day, either carry two sets of clothes (which weighs you down) or cargo pants (trousers) with zip off legs. (You might be able to buy them locally - but will they have your size?)
5 I suggest carrying a couple of safety pins to secure scarves or sarongs or clothes which get torn.
6 A safety pin did not work on my wrap skirt - just pulled out as I walked, leaving a hole. A better solution would be ribbons or better still ribbons on elastic.
7 Alternatively a flared skirt which enables you to mount steps.
8 A Punjabi outfit with matching trousers would be another option - if 'trousers' are allowed.
9 I have culottes.
10 What about the wrap tie farmer's trousers which I bought in Singapore and never wear?
I must admit they are hard to tie on, can't be removed easily when you go to the toilet without ragging fabric own dirty floors, Besides I never feel secure. I think they will gap or the ribbons will untie and the whole outfit will fall to the floor!

I shall be adding more thoughts as I continue researching today.

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.
Please like, follow and share my posts.

No comments: