Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Colourful Towers and Cars in the Sky in Singapore




Problem
I see a wonderful building changing colour as I watch on Scotts Road as we walk from the Orchard direction towards Newton MRT.

The two towers change colour as I stop to photograph the building. From royal blue through white to red. I love it. What is the building called?

Answer
I photograph the front with the name. Unfortunately when I get home I find that the picture of the facade across the road in dim light taken in the evening with a handphone is not clear. However, I know exactly where the structure is situated.
So I later look it up on the map. It's called the Hamilton. I remember the name. It reminds us of Lewis Hamilton, the racing car driver. No coincidence.

I decide to search and research the building. On their website I learned nothing about the light display. I was surprised to see that the twin towers of the building contained fewer than 60 flats.

Car Parking En Suite In The Sky
The big surprise was the ensuite garage in the sky for each flat.

Long ago I stayed at a hotel which was alongside a car park. They had arranged for the bays to be numbered so that if you reserved a car parking space it was on the same level as your hotel bedroom. I thought that was a novelty and a clever idea and a convenience. But the idea of matching car parking to the level of your home bedroom did not seem to catch on elsewhere and did not spread worldwide.

Have a look at the Hamilton website. You have to enjoy a really swanky car to want to have it parked visible beyond a glass window alongside your apartment's living room.

In Singapore just owning a car is a luxury. You have to be able to afford the Certificate of Entitlement as well as the cost of the car. Yet the roads are full of cars.

http://www.hamiltonscotts.com/en/latest-news
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_Hamilton

Photos and video by Angela Lansbury. Copyright 2017.
Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.

No comments: