Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, March 6, 2017

Roads, steps and alleys in Singapore


Problem
If you've already taken the major sights, or don't have the time and money to visit, what can you photograph?

Answer
Roads and Alleys.


Tips
A water feature or flight of steps adds interest.Go for anything colourful and step nearer.


Near Cashew station: Uphill walk past the large protective rain tree. I start with a view downhill towards the station. My first thought was to crop the picture and cut out the large expanse of green grass. If you put a finger or thumb over it you can see how it would look. I could create a totally different view, yet the tree fills the screen but is not the centre of attention.

If I were to cut the top of the tree out of the picture, as well as the grass, I would have the cyclist on the right, the sign to the station in the middle, and the approaching car headlights on the right. This picture could be captioned to say something else, not about nature but about transport, cycle or car to the station. The station has a cycle rack but no car park. In England more suburban stations would have car parks.

A picture, it is often said, is worth a thousand words. Instead of 'a picture is worth a thousand words', I would say that 'a picture tells a thousand stories'.


Only a short flight of steps - but oops, what a drop into the drain either side. If I were in charge of health and safety I would insist on a handrail on all steps.

Photos by Angela Lansbury
Copyright
All rights reserved

No comments: