Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Thursday, March 9, 2017

International Women's Day - March 8th, this year and every year


Problem
International Women's Day passed by and I didn't note it. I am a woman every day of the year. However, my friend Jilliana wrote a comment on Facebook on a photo of myself and a friend, so I thought I'd make a note now, in order to be prepared when it comes around next year.

Answers
People I should note:
1 Myself, my mother, grandmother, aunts, sister-in-law, niece by marriage.
2 Famous women I learned about in school: Florence Nightingale; Grace Darling.
3 Famous authors (in their day one might have said authoresses): (alphabetically by surname) Jane Austen; Charlotte Bronte.
4 Women in science: Marie Curie, pioneer in X-rays.

Tips
International Women's Day - a good day to write about and visit and re-visit homes of famous women:
Homes of famous women which I have visited and written about:
UK Charlotte Bronte, Haworth, Yorkshire, England, UK.

Jane Austen house, Bath, England, UK.
A BBC website shows a video of Jane's Austen's desk and around her home.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-16302982
Other BBC websites show supposed paintings of her, an analysis of the family nose in pictures of other members of her family, and a waxwork. I suppose eventually they will look for her skull and get a recreation of what she would have looked like.

Anne Frank House, Amsterdam, Netherlands.

Most men do not live in isolation. So visiting the home of a famous man you are likely to learn about his mother, wife, fiancee or lover, daughter, employee, servant.

For example, visiting the Marcel Proust museum in Prague, Czech republic, I was interested to read about the girlfriends he ski not marry, especially the last one who stayed with him at the sanitarium where he died.

Living women I admire:
Catherine Lim, author, Singapore.
Angela Lansbury, actress, UK and USA, my namesake.

More in Wikipedia.

Angela Lansbury

No comments: