Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Travelling? Remember to read or write novels and learn languages on long trips

Problems
How do you make use of travel time? How do you get off at the right stop?


Answers
A) Learn your route
B) Read or learn en route
C)  Watch out for your stop!


Stories
This advertisement at a bus stop reminded me that you can read books on a phone or tablet when travelling.

But don't go past your stop!

I remember reading on the bus as a teenager on the bus on my way to my father's newly opened shop, Lansbury Opticians in Preston Road, North West London, England.

My mother was watching from the shop windows. she saw me on the bus sitting reading. As she feared, I did not appear five minutes later but ten minutes later..

When I arrived she was doing her impression of an angry mother goose. I was mortified are being caught out. To this day if I go past a bus or train stop I feel that somebody is watching me. I rationalise that security staff on the watch for unusual journeys are likely to step out of the shadows to ask why I am going backwards and forwards.


Signs tell passengers that loitering on railway premises in Singapore is forbidden. Maybe the purpose of the sign is to prevent beggars and pickpockets.

Everywhere worldwide nowadays you are on security cameras.  I find that reassuring.


George Orwell foresaw this in 1984. But I have the imaginary angel on my shoulder. It is the memory of my mother forever warning: Don't go past the stop!


Tips
Whilst travelling, you can also write a book about your travels. Or use the travel background for novels and poems.


Author
Angela Lansbury, author and speaker.
I have a previous post on sketching whilst travelling and a display of art created on trains, an exhibition at Beauty World station, Singapore.
Please follow, like and share my posts.

No comments: