Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Saturday, October 20, 2018

Finding Chinese Symbols Matching English Station Names on the Singapore MRT map



Chineasy teaches you the symbols with pictures. See it on the internet. You can see king third along top row. Mountain or hill is far left of the lower row. Moon is below king.

Problem
What do the Chinese symbols on the Singapore stations mean?

NUMBERS 6 and 10
I learned the numbers first and identified six on the sign for Sixth Avenue station on the downtown line.
Later I found Ten Mile Junction station. then one-north.

Then I found the sign for mountain or hill in Hillview on the downtown line, station DT3.

The sign for king was in Downtown  station DT6, King Albert Park.

The sign for park or garden or enclosed space appears on the station signs and the MRT (mass transit) railway map.

The signs for sun and moon are not on the MRT map, but on signs about the dates and times of early closing of stations for maintenance work. The sun means day of the month, and the moon means month.



Next I was into the compass signs. One north.

I identified the sign for little in Little India.

Chinese was no longer something I shunned. I keenly scanned my map on every journey.

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker, teacher of English and other languages

No comments: