Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Sunday, October 14, 2018

Safety corners - at home and away from home

Problem
We installed safety corners on funiture when we had a baby. Some of the corners are still there. However, in our second home, years later, we didn't bother.

Even if we had done so on arrival, we gradually added more furniture including a nice white desk with sharp corners, and a chair with what looks like a rounded top.

I got out of bed quickly one morning, felt dizzy, lurched sideways, everything spun around, I fell. Sharp pain on my head. I now have a large painful lump above my ear in my hairline. I don't know what I hit. But I went online to search for corners.

If you have an elderly person with you on your travels, taking granny overseas, you could well be in a hotel room or holiday flat which does not have safety corners.

You could buy some to take with you.

Corners come in sets of four, in Singapore under $5 and under $5 again for shipping. You have to fix them on with double-sided sticky tape.

The range of colours offered is large. However, white was sold out. I found the following websites: Qoo10.

The following brands: 2M

There are two types. U shape for glass tables or shelves, L shape for deep desk corners.

A third type is a strip, which can be used to cover the entire length of the front edge of the desk, not just the norner, and other items such as a pipe vertically up or horizontally along a wall.

That means you may have to leave them behind. (The hotel should provide safety corners anyway. You are doing the next guest a favour. Maybe hotel managers will take the hint.)

Whatever the cost, it's a lot cheaper than losing a day, taking a taxi to the doctor, doctor's fee, cost of anti dizziness pills, taxi to hospital, hospital fee, 2 sets of anti-dizziness pills.

Author
Angela Lansbury, 

No comments: