Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, October 15, 2018

Chinese (Mandarin) Words Of The Day - which you see on maps and station signs

Flag of China



Problem
How to remember the sounds and symbols of Chinese?

Answers
Recap
Out or exit is a double trident, three strokes pointing up, like six people rushing out.
Usually followed by a square which sometimes has a tag at the bottom right.

Ni hao - hello, now are you, literally you good?
I remember this as how are your knees.

New Word Memory Aid
wo is I.
Wo like the royal we, said by Queen Victoria. When she said, We are leaving, she meant I am leaving. But when she left, everybody left.

I repeat:
 Chinese - English
wo - I

English - Chinese (Mandarin)
I - wo

I am learning Chinese using the free website Duolingo.

A useful pictorial system is Chineasy.

You can see the trident with the high midpoint for mountain in the second row against the green. This appears in Singapore in the station name Hillview. DT3 on the blue Downtown line.

The first (left) of the three Chinese writing symbols on the panel above the platform doors is the hill or mountain sign. Look at DT3 in the underground map translation page. I used to tear this off. Now I keep it to learn the Chinese symbols.

The last sign is the word for station (which appears at the end of every station although it is not used in the English).



Useful Websites
duolingo.com


Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.

No comments: