Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Sunday, October 14, 2018

Quick Ways To Learn Chinese Words And Symbols



I can speak to ladies in the swimming pool or the ladies only sauna at a club. I can speak to taxi drivers. I ask them how do I say hello and goodbye.

Hello is the easy one. I learned this at a bilingual Toastmasters club in Singapore. I kept hearing the word which sounded like HOW? It means good. 

The word which sounds like knee is you. The greeting knee how which sounds like how are your knees is like how are you or hello.

The reply is how or good. This is written in the 'English' alphabet or Roman alphabet with accents, called pinyin, as hao with a dipped or u shape accent over the 'a' to show that your voice tone goes down and then up - a bit like saying the word 'really?'

So now you know three words, you, good, and hello.
So I can get into a taxi and greet the driver with knee how which is hello. I can smile at neighbours or strangers in the lift (Americans say elevator for lift). I can greet the ladies or the swimming instructor in the pool. I can nod to strangers on the bus.

Chinese Challenge - Pictograms
But what about those challenging Chinese signs which Duolingo is forcing me to learn?
The knee sound is drawn like a lower leg with a slanting knee cap.
The good sign (how) looks like two stick figure people having a good chat. I don't yet know the sign well enough to draw or write it.

(Like English letters you draw in a logical direction. In English you start the letter S at the top which eventually becomes automatic and seems logical and faster when doing joined up writing. However, when trying to write neatly on a board I sometimes draw a letter s in two halves.)

Duolingo Pictures
If you learn Chinese through Duolingo they force you to learn the picture signs. I have started this, left it and gone away, then come back to it.

Take A Break
When you come back to it, the lesson seems easier.
Useful websites and resources for travellers and linguists and aspiring polyglots (speakers of several languages):

Free Lessons
Free online language lessons to begin Chinese, European languages and English for foreigners
Memrize.com - online system where you can record your memory aid and keep it private (eg if it contains rude words or personal information) or share your memory aid words or picture
S or drawings and see other people's and choose which one is first on the list and visible on your screen as a reminder without scrolling.

Amazon - for new and old books and cassettes and discs
ebay.com
Duolingo.com

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, teacher of English and other languages, workshops for education and businesses, after dinner and keynote speeches.

No comments: