Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Friday, October 5, 2018

Making Maps and Keeping Track Of Travels



Problem
Where have I been? Which American states? How many states have I visited? How many other countries have I visited?

Answers
Somebody on Facebook sent me their map of countries visited and I immediately wanted to try to make my own.

I started with the US states. Deciding where I had been was surprisingly difficult. I've been to about half. But I tend to remember the cities rather than the states. You know if you have visited New York in New York State, and San Francisco or Los Angeles in California.

Capitals
You might think that looking up capitals will quickly remind you. I have been to Salt Lake City in Utah. Denver in Colorado. Texas, of course, I have been to Dallas and Houston. And Galveston.

How about checking a list of capitals? No use. The capitals are not necessarily the biggest cities or the tourist sites. Tallahassee?

I spent some time trying to work out which of the four states meet. I had a photo at the crossroads photo point.

What was the city with the big arch which I flew to on the way to Hawaii? The St Louis arch, in St Louis, in Missouri.

I could remember the house of somebody well known, related to the red Indians, oops, now called the native Americans. I eventually tracked him down. Kit Carson.

EUROPE MAP
After finishing the US states, I tried Europe. That should be pretty simple. UK, France, Germany, Finland, Poland, Romania ...
I scored 30 European countries.

Except that some of the countries changed names since I last visited. I knew I had been to Dubrovnik. Where is that now? Croatia. Really? I had no idea I had visited Croatia!

ASIA
Hurray! Several of those. India. Cambodia. Singapore. Malaysia. Thailand.

Australasia
I don't think so - never yet been to any of those islands, although I'd like to, but Australia and New Zealand are in so I scored two.

AFRICA
Not really. Wait a minute. I had a honeymoon in Morocco. Plus Tunisia. Add on South Africa.

If I can add a new country every year for the next twenty years, I will be doing well.

Now do yours.
Choose: USA, Canada, Europe, Asia, Australasia, Africa, Antartica.
The maploco website allows you to load maps up to Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest. If you want to see my maps, go to these sites.

Useful Websites
https://m.maploco.com/visited-countries/

Author
Angela Lansbury


No comments: