Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Friday, October 19, 2018

How To Talk About Countries You Don't Know : Practise At Travel Table Topics On The Hand Bridge in Vietnam And Tongue-tied Speakers



Photo of hand bridge in Vietnam.
By Trung Le [CC BY 2.0  (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

Table Topics
Traditionally picked from a table
For practising impromptu speeches.
I imagine many Singaporeans of all ages have crossed the bridge into Malaysia.  However, when shown pictures of Myanmar, Brunei, Vietnam, the speakers who had not visited these countries found little to say.
The speakers were picked by a senior member, volunteered, I presume to give newcomers a chance to speak and encourage them to join. Usually you start with an experienced speaker to demonstrate to newcomers how to deal with a question.

The question is
WOULD YOU LIKE TO VISIT THIS COUNTRY AND WHY?
The speaker is totally non-plussed. Racks brain. Stands with their back to the audience, looking at the picture.

What can be done?
The topics master can explain ways of answering. 
What was done at the time?
Somebody said, "Say what you like to visit on a holiday".

Other ways of dealing with it:
Engage the questioner:
Discuss why you think the questioner chose this topic. He wants to go there? He is looking for a companion for travels? 

Speaker is too busy studying - but might have more time later.
Student can't afford it. Yes, I'd go there if you paid my fare. 

Holidays are normally spent with family.
Discuss how you normally spend holidays.

Discuss dream destinations. Look at the elements of the picture. Discuss what you guess or know. 

How did they build the bridge? How did they photograph it? 

The bridge picture. Have you visited other bridges? Do you like taking photos. Are you scared of heights?

These include:

Geographically - 'it's near such and such a country, therefore I suggest you combine the two. I have been to neighbouring Thailand where I saw ... end with the country in the question.

Table topics reveals gaps in your knowledge.
Maybe you should learn the names of nearby countries.
Maybe the topics master who has gone to such trouble to take photos, should start with a map of the region.

Topics to be prepared to discuss, with a table topics group or to anybody you meet:
Where was your last trip and what did you enjoy most?
Where is your next trip?
Do you know (adjoining countries). Would you like to go there and why?

(NB - you might meet people on the train or plane or bus from the adjoining countries. It helps to have something to say or ask.)

What is your favourite book?
Have you heard of a book about the country. Seen a film about it?
Seen a photo on Facebook?

What is your favourite movie, movie star, singer, type of music?
Have you been to a restaurant serving their food?
Tried it in a hawker centre (food court).

Try translating a menu.
Do you like spicy food/ Fruit? Meat? Fish? Vegetables/ Healthy food? trying new food?

Do you like the outdoors/ Cities. Shopping.

Funny Negatives
I'd rather sit at home eating chocolate.
Why don't you go and come back and tell me about it.
My idea of travel is taking a bus to my nearest shopping centre?
Do they serve good coffee?

Finally - ask the audience.

As the topics master faced with a silent 'speaker':

Give them a typed piece of information about the country to read out.
Interview them.
Get the person who has not travelled to interview the one who has been there.
Do a demo with two experience toastmasters.
One asks :
"Do you know the capital?
It's called ...:
Etc.

Sample openers:
Flatter the other person or the bystanders: 'You have found some stunning pictures. When I am on the internet I get photos of pet dogs. I wonder what it would cost to visit? I imagine it would be more affordable out of season.'

Instead of worrying about what you don't know, such as the location, deal with your reaction to what you can see, speculate, and engage the person who picked the picture: 
'I bet they charge you to walk across the bridge. I'm not great with heights but I would force myself to cross to get a photo. Does it go anywhere - or do you just cross to get back?'

Make comments on life in general:
'The hand is supposed to symbolise safety. It reminds me of the song, he's go the whole world in his hands.

Be positive:
'You learn something new every day. Thank you for adding a place to my list of must-sees. I was thinking of going to Vietnam one day. I love those elegant white dresses. I've been planning a trip for twenty years. Maybe now I'll actually make it - next year. You have inspired me to start planning. I must set a deadline and start saving. I shall print that picture and put it up on my wall and save for the trip of a lifetime.'

Author
Angela Lansbury

No comments: