Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Tuesday, February 26, 2019

New Wallpaper?: Start Again or Paper Over The Cracks and Preserve History?

In my previous post I talked about laying a driveway and laying a carpet. Now I shall discuss wallpaper and lino for bathrooms and kitchens.

Wallpaper
I had a quotation for putting up wallpaper. After starting, the workers decided they had to strip off the underlying wallpaper, and the underlayer, and re-lay lining paper. More time and expense.

They claimed that if they put the new wallpaper on top, the old wallpaper would come away from the wall. They showed me the seams.

I said: "I don't have the time nor money for a longer job. Stick down any loose corners with wall paper glue."

Since the worker was expected at another job shortly, he agreed. It worked out just fine.

History of Wallpaper
At the same time I read a newspaper account of an old home where the owners discovered as many as seventeen layers of wallpaper from different eras. They were able to restore a home to the Victorian era, using the old wall paper or by copying the design.

Preserving Walls
Another building, a church or chapel, was renovated. Under the later wallpaper and cladding, they were able to reveal a priceless medieval painting.

To my mind, a building has its history, which it is important to preserve.

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker. Please save links to your favourite posts.

No comments: