Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Thursday, February 14, 2019

What makes people travel?

Travelling Towards
Some people travel towards something, to see the world, looking for something different, a contrast. Other travel to the land of their ancestors, hoping to find a connection.

Travelling Away
Others travel to get away. There are places in many countries known as havens for those escaping their past. (I always wanted to be diplomatic. I think that sentence was my best effort.)

After WWII may people looked for a new country and a news start. Some are getting away from memories. Others are getting away from bad vibes.

I heard about the suicide of somebody I didn't know but who lives in my area. My neighbour, who I shall call Alicia, knows everything. I asked her, "What caused that? Was it depression?"

Alicia said, "It was her mother."

Really!

"Yes," said Alicia. "Same in my family. My mother hated me, tried to break up the marriage. Did the same with my brother-in-law, then my sister-in-law.
 My sister-in-law said to me, 'What shall I do?'
I replied, 'Go as far away as possible.' So she went to Australia!" 

Alicia is nearly ninety. She said with admiration that 'Lionel'*, her husband is ninety-two!

'Goodness,' I gasp. 'Is that a lot different to ninety?'

I suppose it is. Each year after ninety or eighty or seventy, more frail, more of an achievement.

Alicia is in bed after breaking something three times in a fall. So she is not travelling, except in her mind, her imagination, and her memories.

So now I and you have a new view on what makes people travel. Getting away from a feud with a mother or a mother-in-law.

To some extent that is what all holidays are for. A change is as good as a rest, the saying goes.

Useful Websites
Samaritans
Need help? United Kingdom:
116 123

Samaritans

Need help?
Hours: 24 hours, 7 days a week
Languages: English

Visit Australia
https://www.australia.com/en-us

(Names of people changed for privacy.)

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker. Please share links to your favourite posts.

No comments: