Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, February 18, 2019

Wonderful Welsh - and how to start learning any language

Problem
I want to learn Welsh. Why. A relative of mine protests, "What for? Even the Welsh don't speak Welsh!"

Answers
I'd like to understand the words of Welsh songs. On a visit to Wales, or going though my old CDs, I sit listening to a harpist or Welsh male voice choir. What are they singing about? I would be so much more interesting if I understood the words.

I have started learning Welsh with d u o l i n g o.com (spaces inserted to evade the automatic spell checker).

To keep myself on track and help you I've made a list of the words and my memory aids.

In a notebook I number the pages in the top corner. On the inside cover, I draw a margin and draw a series of horizontal lines with a ruler. I list the pager numbers down the margin. Then, if I have the Welsh on only one page, I can quickly find it. Here is my starter list of words.

Welsh - English
coffee - coffi

English - Welsh
Mum -

An alternative is to list your words in a blog, as I have. Or write them in Notes in your phone. Read them whenever you are waiting for a bus or train.
More later.

Useful Websites
duolingo.com
visitwales.com
visitbritain.com

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker. Please share links to your favourite posts.

No comments: