Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, February 25, 2019

Changi Airport, Singapore is bliss! Why do I say so?

A video on the plane gave the history of Singapore and made me feel proud to be a Singapore Resident. I remember when I first visited Singapore more than 20 years ago at one of the major attractions I saw a film about all the inventions of the Chinese and the East, paper, writing gunpowder. having been brought up on a diet of Bitish encyclopaedias, I was under the impression that the British invented most things.

Then when I went to work for Marchsll Cavendish on partworks, (magazines which built up into an A to Z science encyclopaedia, translated from English into German, I discovered how one-sided every country's history is. If an article said something was developed by the British - adding as an afterthoguth that the Germans later developed it, or had the original idea, the article was reversed for the German readers. Their compatriot's discovery or development came first, in more detail, whilst the British contribution, whether earlier or later in time, came second in the article.

However, the film on Singapore Airlines took Singapore from independence from Malaysia, "They said we had no infrastructure, they said we could never build a world class airline ..." - the film then shows what Singapore has done. Certainly the airline and airport leave other countries including England far behind.

I can't speak too highly of this award-winning airport, Changi.
You plane arrives and you walk up to the airport and the carpets are soft.

It is quiet.

You soon find the trolleys.

Water fountains.

Toilets
They could do with more cubicles for a plane offloading several hundred people. One toilet had a bidet and I waited for that to freshen up.

Now they have the idea, add the bidet in all the cubicles, like the local hospitals.

A desk of staff helping those in transit with more staff lurking was a blessing. I asked them how to turn my phone off flight mode and get it making calls and taking photos.

This visit, for the first time, I travelled without luggage, just a carry on bag.

Bliss.

Photo opportunities all around.

And they are already building the next terminal.

Useful Websites
singaporeair.com

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker. Please share links to your favourite posts.

No comments: