Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, February 18, 2019

Secrets of E-Tickets - Where to Find Them On Your Phone

I was given an e-ticket for the first time when I travelled on GWR (Great Western Railway), west from Paddington station in London to Fishguard in the far north west of Wales.

When I bought the ticket online in advance, I was told to download onto my phone the GWR app.

Another helpful app is Trainline.

You can check your journey whilst you are in progress.

The first train I was on after installing the ap, the ticket inspector was able to click onto the right place.

The last train was a local train. The ticket inspector and I both tried clicking on a couple of places without success. He shrugged and muttered something and walked on.

What did he say - I'll be back later , or I'll fetch a friend. I asked the person sitting opposite me 'What did he say?

She replied,'He said, "Fill your boots" '.

'What does that mean?' I was thinking: You are a nuisance, a freeloader, or what?

I got various answers. These included: 'Enjoy your day; carry on.'

On my return journey, I watched again what the inspector did. He ended up on a screen showing a square icon, turned his phone to face my phone's screen, and either read it or photographed it, probably just the former, unless he was doing a marketing exercise so the company could check statistics of numbers of journeys taken.

Websites
GWR.com/enews
(More later.)
Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.

No comments: