Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, February 18, 2019

Welsh words for bus, train, new - and accents

Welsh dragon.

When I was travelling through Welsh station by train I picked up a view Welsh words by looking at the bilingual signs.

Welsh - English
Abertawe - Swansea
bws - bus
Caer - Chester
Caesnewydd - Cardiff
Cwmni - Wales
lifft- lift
newydd - new
trên  - train (Circumflex accent on the e in tren)
Wreksam - Wrexham
Y Rhyl - Rhyl

Accents
 trên I could not find the accents in Google nor in Word. When I was using an Apple computer you held down the key. But now typing on a thinkPad doing that produces a line of the letter e. 
I googled the answer found a guide with three suggestions. One said use insert but I cannot find insert in blogger. Another suggestion said hold down alt plus g and r but that did not work and involved too much time and effort. 
So I looked up Welsh dictionary and found a university website Welsh dictionary from Wales, typed in train, and copied the Welsh word.
When I find a solution to inserting accents in Word and blogger I shall write it on a sticker and stick it on my laptop.

I have been learning Welsh on Duolingo, which is a website teaching several languages for free - with occasional advertisements.

Useful Websites
https://www.duolingo.com/

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer. Please share links to your favourite posts.

No comments: