Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Changi's Jewel Shopping Mall With A Giant Waterfall Puts Changi Airport Firmly On the Map



Changi Jewel's giant majestic Waterfall. Photo by Bennv3771 in Wikipedia.

Changi's Jewel Shopping Mall looks like a giant donut or bun, with trains running horizontally through its middle linking to the adjacent terminals. The centrepiece of the complex is the huge 40 meter high waterfall, the world's largest indoor waterfall.

The complex was due to open Wednesday April 17 2019 but the week before it was open for previews. I opted for a two hour slot on the earliest available day, not the first couple of days, as other days had been taken.

The Journey
Emails warned that traffic would be heavy and advised taking the MRT train. I had planned to do that anyway. I would take a taxi to the airport when burdened with luggage which I want to watch. But just for fun, the metro is good enough.

From the Downtown blue line I had to change onto the green line for the lst stop. A ten minute wait. I was surprised it took so long, when the trains at my usual boarding station run every 3 to five minutes in peak hours.

From Changi Airport MRT station your route to the Jewel is signposted at every turn. You should allow 20 minutes to walk there, more if you dawdle in shops, the toilet or for photos or drinks.

Between the MRT exit and the walkway to the Jewel, you pass several interesting shops such as one featuring the local fruit, Durian.

Photo Opportunities
The Waterfall
1 When I arrived at the MRT, the approach to jewel was through glass sided elevated walkways passing fine views of the palm trees and the control tower.

2 On arrival in Jewel, you could immediately see the waterfall in the middle, through one of the spoke walkways. Singapore is hot and walking around makes you perspire, even if most of the way is air conditioned. However, the spray from the waterfall was pleasantly cooling.

Arriving half way up the waterfall viewpoints and the building levels at level 1, you can look down at the people below on basements 1 and 2, and up at those on walkways above on levels 2,3,4 and 5.

The main activity is photographing yourself and your friends against the waterfall. It looked like a giant camera club outing.

I found the waits for the lifts took too long and instead opted to use the escalators. I spent from 11 to 5.30 there. I went down to Basement 1. I found a great jewellery shop with good prices. They were offering opening discounts, like many of the shops. As I paid, the assistant asked, "Are you a member of Changi Rewards?"

I went along to Customer Service and got help signing up. Further around the mall was an even cheaper jewellery shop, items prices at $12, with $30 for three. All very bling, glittering, as if determined to outdo diamonds, with unusual shaped designs.

Marks & Spencer had a free taste of biscuits. I found lines marked down for a quick sale because the food such as potato salad had to be eaten the same day. I opted for potato.

Marks was selling bananas in bunches and I wanted only one.

Downstairs, lowest level, was the food court. Lots of unusual stuff. Coconut. I found two juice bars, The cheaper one had a slice of watermelon for one Singapore dollar.

Toilets
I was disappointed that my toilet in the Ladies had no washing device in the brand new toilets. Later I discovered that the bidet in the toilet is in the handicapped wide-door cubicle.

All in all, a most enjoyable day.

Useful Websites
https://travelwithangelalansbury.blogspot.com/2019/04/jewel-changi-update-driving-to-changi.html
https://flights.staralliance.com/en/
changiairport.com
https://www.jewelchangiairport.com/
Singaporeair.com
visitsingapore.com
http://www.changiairport.com/en/airport-guide/facilities-and-services/airport-parking.html

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.

No comments: