Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Where To See, Hear, Preserve and Learn Unusual Languages



How many words do you know from dying or dead or minority languages? If you speak English you know a smattering of words from languages all over the world. For example, you know the word safari, from  Swahili. You also know kangaroo, from Australia, from one of the Aboriginal languages. Yes, there are several, not just one.

What's Happening In Australia?
Over in Australia, the BBC reported, an Israeli is working to restore Aboriginal language s. 
Hey - I know this man. I met him in Singapore. At least once, two or three times. I think I must have met him at a Friday night dinner at the Synagogue which I went to when I first arrived. (When I knew nobody, I tried everything, writing groups, bridge clubs, Freends of the Museum, American Women's association, Australian Women's Association, sewing clubs, visits to museums, temples, everything and everywhere. Eventually I fastened on Toastmasters International whose members are multi-cultural.)

Hebrew, Aramaic, Arabic and Yiddish
I remember talking to him about Hebrew and Arabic and the linking language Aramaic. Aramaic is still spoken. Hebrew was revived from the the bible, by Israel. (I would have preferred Yiddish to be the main language, or at least one of the official languages of Israel.)

If you speak or learn a language, it is upsetting to find that your skills are no longer of use, no longer needed. I learned Latin at school. It is occasionally handy for understanding a quotation. Veni, widi, wici, said Julius Casear, Supposedly, when he landed in England, and tripped over. I can trnslate that. I came, I saw, I conquered. That's very handy for understanding that Italian, Spainish, Portuguese, and some Asian languages, do not need first person pronouns, but use the suffix, or word ending, instead. 

Latin Is Useful
I was disappointed to learn that Latin had been dropped from Catholic mass. It is handly, worldwide, to be able to follow the Latin at a cathedral in a country like Romania or Vietnam. I read l
Latin on stones and captions when I see Roman remains on archaelogical sites everywhere, England, Italy, Greece, Israel, Jerusalem, Jordan.

Hebrew Is Useful
I occasionally find myself recognizing Hebrew at a Jewish wedding or funeral. Hebrew pops up again when I am touring a Jewish museum or a Jewish trail, taking in a Holocaust memorial and a synagogue or graveyard.

Australia
So, what progress has the Israeli made with his language revival. Apparently what started out in Australia as a fun, interesting, kind, and a worthy endeavour, is also bringing benefits to minorities and thus to the economics of the country as a whole by restoring morale and preventing suicides.

If you are Australian, or fascinated by Australian languages, like the Israeli, that could be of great interest. If you are miles away, what's in this idea for you and me?

I must admit to an alternative dream. I dream that all the minority languages will die out so that eventually everybody will be able to speak at least one common language. I don't mind people going off and pursuing minority language interests. that is not incompatible with my dreams. You could have a group of a hundred people singing the national anthem, to the same tune, even if one likes opera and another like Country music, another likes classical music and another likes rap, or a folk song in a language which few people speak.

Esperanto
I know the word Esperanto, which means I hope in the Esperanto language. I am learning Esperanto online. This pursuit, just a hobby, say my family dismissively, is pointless. Learn a language that huge numbers of people speak, such as Spanish, or Chinese. I am doing that too. But the Chinese is going to slowly that I retreat into Esperanto which gives me a daily encouragement of lessons completed, words learned, grammar rules recalled, and achievement.

Esperanto
Esperanto is a made up language. It was designed to be a culturally neutral go-between language with simple grammar. The language and its advocates were suppressed by Stalin and Hitler. After World War II its supporters failed to win over the United Nations and the European Union. However, it has an annual get-together. Speakers of the language can register for a homestay programme and stay with each other and practise the language and use it to communicate both in mainstream language countries and in others where you are unlikely to know the local language.

It is available to learn for free on the Internet. I started learning it years ago. Now that it is on Duolingo I have come back to it and the numbers of learners and speakers are growing.

What Can You Learn Online?
You could learn one of the mainstream languages. Or one of the lesser spoken languages. For example, Welsh.



Welsh dragon, Welsh flag.
Welsh

Useful Websites
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20190320-the-man-bringing-dead-languages-back-to-life

To learn languages for free including Welsh and Esperanto:
duolingo.com

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker. I have several posts on Welsh,  Welsh language, Esperanto and learning languages. Please share links to your favourite posts.

No comments: