Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Sunday, April 14, 2019

What Is Star Alliance? What Can It Do For Me When I Book and Fly? How can I join it?




Star Alliance is a network of airlines giving you airmiles and use of lounges.

My family have been frequent flyers on Singapore Airlines for years and its links with other airlines have grown exponentially with Star Alliance.

What does this mean? It means that even if you cannot travel to your holiday or business destination on Singapore Airlines (or another airline in the group which you use) you can pick another airline in the Star Alliance group and pick up airmiles and use airport lounges of star alliance members.

Advantages of Lounges
I would much rather be in an airport lounge where everybody is checked in, than in the public areas where I feel I am more exposed to passing pickpockets and people who will trip over my carry on luggage containing a laptop or bottle or other fragile items, and the distraction of screaming children racing around.

The seats in lounges are often a choice of high, low and armchairs. I get a table next to most chairs. I can go back to the desk to make an enquiry. Toilets are in the lounge or nearby and I can ask the front desk where the toilets are located.

Food and Drink
Usually in the airline lounge I can get something to eat or drink, if only a glass of water.

Comforts
I have a table for my laptop. And a table for my phone. That might save me from getting radiation yet again on my fingers you never know - you know what I mean, at very least saving me from eye strain and reducing risk of injury to my fingers or wrists.

Reading In Airport Lounges
Airport Lounges often have newspapers from around the world.

That said, I had no entry to Singapore Airlines lounge at Heathrow, only at Changi, as I usually go in with a member of my family as I am a guest and / or travelling with somebody in a better class. Whether you are a silver or gold member makes a difference.

Travel Trips and Tricks
Allow half an hour or even an hour longer than you think you need. Some frequent flyers like to cut it fine. I don't. I don't want the stress of sitting in a traffic jam, even waiting at traffic lights, watching my watch.

If I arrive early, I can check in early, sometimes more choice of seats.

I can wander around the shops.

I can finish off the food and drink not allowed onto the plane and get rid of food and drink weighting my luggage.

I can play hunt the keys and lock the case. I can decide to re-pack and hide my hat in the check in luggage now I am indoors out of the outdoors wind and snow and rain or sun.

Star Alliance
Countries and Routes Covered 98% of the world. 193 countries.
1,317 destinations. Many in the USA. In the UK, London, Birmingham, Manchester, Edinburgh and more.
Many tiny countries and small islands, you can fly into the capital.
Airlines
28 airlines. Here are just a few: Type in Air, then Canada, China, India, New Zealand.
Type in Singapore Airlines, S African Airways, TAP Air Portugal, United.

Useful Websites
https://flights.staralliance.com/en/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Alliance
https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Alliance
You can even see your choice of outgoing flights to your chosen destination - and the weather at the destination! So you know how to dress and what kind of clothing to pack.
https://flights.staralliance.com/en/flights-to-sofia
https://www.united.com/en/us

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker. I have many more posts on Singapore, Changi Airport, Heathrow Airport, the UK, world destinations, airlines. Please share links to your favourite posts.


No comments: