Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Tuesday, August 21, 2018

How To Buy Musical Instruments For Less And Enjoy Lessons At Home and Overseas

Problem
First, where do you find a cheap musical instrument for yourself or a child.
You see a bargain price, irresistible flute or ukele or accordion which looks great and sounds great when you see it in the shop. But when you get it home you can't play it.

Solutions
First let me tell you what happened to me recently. I passed a music shop in Colindale and looked in the window.

I went inside. Here's a look at some of the goods and prices. If you are buying something really expensive, such as a professional clarinet, to take overseas, you may be able to take it or ship it and by-pass the VAT charged in the UK.

If you are buying an instrument, it's a good idea to take lessons immediately. You are enthusiastic. You know the venue so no problem finding it. They already see you as a customer who must be kept happy.

Singing Lessons
While you are overseas or on holiday, you might wish to take lessons. I saw singing lessons advertised in Yamaha in Singapore at a reduced rate, or an affordable rate.

They put me in touch with a teacher. She wanted me to sign up for a one-hour once a week lesson for six weeks. I was in Singapore only four weeks so I declined.

She then offered me a lesson immediately, another at the end of the week, and two at the start and end of my last week so I got six lessons. Everybody was happy.

Buying Accessories
If you arrive at a lesson in a store and discover you are missing something, such as a guitar pick, or book of songs, they will probably have something to sell you before your lesson starts.

Buying Gifts
I saw items I wanted. I have added them to my Christmas list.

I went into a music shop in Colindale, NW London and said I needed a stand for a keyboard. They said most keyboards can fit on a universal stand which expands. (I seem to remember reading that my machine took a particular size - there may be two sizes of universal stands for half size and full-size keyboards, the ones you see advertised online at cheap prices only being fixed size or for half size keyboards.

I wanted to know the price of a white piano. To my surprise, it was under a thousand pounds and cheaper than another piano I looked at in the shop. I thought that white would be a speciality item. Since I like furniture and my parents had a white piano, I was curious.


Toy accordion photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.

Whilst there I noticed a child size accordion. An adult's accordian will cost more than £150, so it wasn't something to be bought as an impulse purchase. But the little one, just for fun. I bought it.

I got it home and no sound came out of it. Oh, dear, Did it need a battery, which I should have bought in the shop? No there's a button for air. The instructions say you must fill it with air by pressing that button before you squeeze it. Otherwise you could cause damage.

Then I could not see from the instructions how you get your hand inside the strap. Most basic thing. I should have spent longer in the shop.

Anyway, it has already served its purpose in being an accessory or prop when I give humorous speeches on the stage at Toastmasters International club meetings. The night I bought the toy size accordion, I told this story:

"I saw the little red toy accordion and thought, I must have that. I went inside to ask the price. I thought, I'll pay £5, £10, even £15. Maybe, even up to £20.

"I asked the price. £25. Ah! Too much.

"I said, 'If you'd said £20, I'd have bought it!'
"He quickly said, '£20'.

"I quickly said, 'Yes!' I thought, 'I should have said £15!"

I am now the proud owner of a little, red toy accordion, which I cannot play, yet.

Music Temptations Galore
On the bus home, I passed another music shop, in Edgware. Fortunately, by the time we had reached my stop I had forgotten about it. Just as well. I had already spent my budget for the day. I find it hard to go past any music shop without just popping in for a look and ending up buying something. The same applies to a supermarket, or any shop.

Practice Needed
It's time to stop buying more musical novelties and learn to play the ones I already have. I think I shall stay home and watch more YouTube videos on how to play a toy accordion.

Small, Easily Transportable Instruments
The nice thing about 'The Busker' toy accordion it is that it's small enough to carry around, unlike the bulk of a guitar.

The smallest instrument is probably a harmonica. I have a friend called Penn at Writers Summer School who plays the harmonica during his poetry readings and storytelling sessions on stage during the Buskers' night.

He says he plays only three notes. You would never know. I thought he was a professional player with a great repertoire.

If you are looking for musical instruments small enough to put in your pocket, Ebony and Ivory's website sells a kazoo; and a Jaw/Jews harp.

Spellings
I just went through my blog post and corrected all the spelling mistakes which were pointed out by Grammarly. How do you remember whether it's accordian or accordion? It's accordion. Like a chord. Or a cord. A - c - cord -  i- on. Play on with the accordion.

The website of the toy accordion maker is:
www.jhs.co.uk

The assistant was Christian.

The shop I visited was:
https://ebonyivory.co.uk
Ebony and Ivory shop also has an eBay store:

http://www.ebaystores.co.uk/ebonyandivoryltd/
Ebony and Ivory Ltd
11 Varley Parade
Edgware Road
Colindale
London NW9
England
UK
Tel: 020 8200 5510
email ebonyandivoryltd@gmail.com

Author
Angela Lansbury

No comments: