Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Thursday, August 30, 2018

Cover your skin or uncover in the sun outdoors, when travelling, in airports: practical points

Problems
Should I uncover or cover up when out and about? in snow, sun, public places?

Answers
When travelling through an airport I have these considerations:
My answers are that you might learn from my experience.

Airport Clothes
When packing I often have too much luggage and try to wear layered outfits, two thin jackets instead of one heavy coat, so I can remove one layer going from a cold country to a hot one.

Outer Layers?
I also like to wear a jacket to conceal pockets in another sleeveless jacket. the solution, if you can afford it, is to by pickpocket proof clothing.

Wearing double layers means you run the risk, of leaving something behind. Any time you take off your outer jacket in a cafe at an airport or anywhere else, you might leave it behind on the chair. A passerby might take something from a pocket. (That happened to us in Prague.)

Removing multiple layers of clothing delays yourself and everybody else. Only do this if you plan to get to the airport in good time, not when running late.

At security checks you need to be able to remove shoes and coats, then going through metal detectors, you have to remove accessories, especially metal belts and pendants which set off alarms.

Why Cover Up?
Covering up protects you from over-exposure to sun (and skin cancer). You keep off insects. I have bad bites or nettle rash from going out in the garden for only a few minutes to cut fruit and flowers.

Exposure To Sun
I covered up too much. The doctor did tests which showed I was short of vitamin D. The remedy? Could be get out for a walk every day.

So, balance up your needs according to your circumstances and experience and learn from mine.

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.


No comments: