Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Wednesday, August 29, 2018

How to remember I, you, he, she and it in Indonesian

Problem
Indonesian is easier than other languages because he ahse and it are the same word, dia. However, how do you remember that dia is he, she or it?

Answer
I made up the memory aid: my dear friend (the man, the woman, the dog, the object - my favourite object such as a teddy bear. Dia is he, she or it.

Saya is I, so say I.

 u ending eith the letter u is you. If I see an Indonesian word ending with a u at the start of a sentence, and it isna't saya 0 I, nor dia, my dear friend, he, she or it, then ithe wor must be you.

But when translating from English how do I remember the first three letters? I have a friend called Kamlesh. Alternatively, think of the phrase: "Come here you!"

Indonesian - English
saya - I
kamu - you
dia - he, she or it

English - Indonesian
I - saya
you - kamu
he, she or it - dia

Author, Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker, teacher of languages. If you want an entertaining talk or workshop on learning languages, please contact me.

No comments: