Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, August 20, 2018

Can you save milk and food from your fridge for the plane or food from the plane?

Problem
What do you do with leftover food at home when you are going away? I like to have some food and drink with me. At very least an empty container for saving leftovers, in case I am called away for departures in the middle of a meal.

Empty soup containers with lids which seal well are good. So are yogurt containers from supermarkets. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.

Answers
LEAVING HOME
When I am just away for the weekend, I buy milk with an expiry date at least 24 hours after I get back so I have milk for coffee and breakfast cereal when I get home.

Once we saw our hire car coming to collect us and left our flowers and milk on the neighbour's doorstep. We texted them from the car to tell them it was us who had left it, and take it in out of the sun.

I take with me a tin of sardines. I make sure that even the tins are stored in waterproof containers.
A tin of sardines in a leak-proof container.

RETURNING HOME
Sometimes, whilst waiting for the hire car to arrive at an airport, I am able to buy either a carton of milk from a nearby supermarket in the arrivals lounge, or a takeaway coffee from the nearest airport coffee outlet. I might even ask for a glass of milk, poured into a sealable container.

You could ask your taxi to stop en route. We have a Tesco nearby. One person can continue home with the luggage. The other person does not have to worry about waiting in a queue (line-up) or a taxi impatient on a yellow line.

MILK
When the taxi drops me off at a nearby supermarket, I can walk home with the milk. This is helpful after an all-night flight when you are tired and don't want to walk and make decisions. At least I am walking home, not having to take the double trip, out from home to the shop and back.

On the plane which arrives in the morning; it's too early for coffee. I don't want to be hunting for a loo at the airport. But I will want a coffee when I get through the door at my destination and have to plan my day.

Sometimes I don't drink my coffee on the plane because I want to sleep, but consider saving the tiny carton of milk. Or I don't drink the coffee in the hotel bedroom, but save the milk for a cup on arrival home.
Milk cartons. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.

I have tried looking at the base to see the expiry date but it's hard to decipher, even if you photograph the packet and blow it up and darken and lighten the photo.

I reckon that the airline has a turnover of milks and it will be safe to drink within the two hours it takes me from the five am arrival at the airport to the 8 am breakfast at home / destination.

But milks kept for months in the fridge, just in case I run out.? Not too sure. I must email and ask them. What do you think?

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer.

No comments: