Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Saturday, August 11, 2018

Museums For Cat Lovers in Malaysia, Russia and Singapore



Cat Museum, Kuching, Malaysia, from Wikipedia.

Problem
Where can I find a museum which features cats?

Answers
Malaysia
Kuching cat museum is fascinating. It features all kinds of cats, real and imaginary. Xanne Frank's cat and other cats owned by famous people. I remember that well from my visit to the museum. Cats in fairy tales.

The museum evokes so many memories from childhood. Even if you have never had a cat. In London we have Whittington's cat statue. Then there's Puss in boots. The owl and the pussycat. My family bought two matched cat statues, black and white, in a museum in London.

The Netherlands
Cat Cabinet, (KattenKabinet) is in Amsterdam, The Netherlands.

Russia
The Bulgakov House Museum Theatre, Moscow.
A beautiful 13-year-old cat called Behemoth lives in this museum for good reason. The museum honours the author Mikhail Bulgakov who lived in Russia 1891-1940. His book, the Master and Margarita. The master is an author, I like that. Margarita, a married woman, likes him. I like that. The plot also includes the devil. I'm afraid I lost interest at that point. It is set in the 1930s, to my mind a rather weird story, jumping about, also set in the time of Jesus, in Jerusalem.

But the book features a cat who plays chess. I rather like this idea. I am quite captivated. I have a clock showing a cat playing chess with a mouse, and a similar theme painting. It taps into our cultural idea of cats being quiet, cunning, clever.

The kidnapped cat is back. An article in the BBC news features the kidnapped cat's capture and relief at its return the same day after an outcry on social media in August 2018.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-45044353

Singapore
A cat museum in Singapore raises money for cats.
I hope to have pictures of this in about a months time when my family are likely to go there.
https://www.thecatmuseum.com.sg

Useful Websites
malaysiatourism.gov.my
visitsingapore.com
singaporeair.com


Author Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer.

No comments: