Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Thursday, August 30, 2018

Bite remedies And Where To Buy And Get Advice

Problem
I went online and researched all the possible home remedies for bites. I read about make a past of oatmeal or using apple cider vinegar, or baking soda.

I tried.
The basic remedy for soothing is calamine lotion. I also considered doing some late night hoovering to get rid of any nesting places or food for insects.

During a trip to Morrisons supermarket I asked an assistant for help. I was already at checkout at closing time (10 pm) so I carried on checking out whilst she ran to find something for me. I shouted, "Anything for bites and stings - the smallest and cheapest!"

It's handy to have small lotions and potions when travelling. Less to carry. Less problem at security. Less cost to replace when it goes out of date.

She brought back Anthisan. I typed antisan thinking of anti insect. Then I noticed it started ANTH with an H and corrected my typing.
A few mornings later the bites were still stinging.

I considered going to the doctor. But I didn't have an apointment and didn't want to wait a day. They will put you in as an emergency, first thing, or in a gap or cancellation, but I don't want to do that if I can avoid it. If you keep inundating them with last minute 'emergencies' they will be less inclined to help you and others.

I looked online for NHS direct. I went through their initial question, which included, do you have any exiting medical condition. That was useful. It reminded me about allergies. I might be allergic to some medications, if they contained aspiric or penicillin.

Next I was asked to make a contribution of £5. hm. I was expecting a free service. This is what I saw:

https://my-secure.justanswer.co.uk/newquestion/depositfunds/

If I were calling from the USA, I might think that good value, but am I going to be asked for more as a subscription. I hae already paid through taxes on income for the NHS which is free to all in the UK.

What's more, signs in the window of the UK pharmacies and online encourage you to try your pharmacy first, before taking up the doctor's time. I'd rather wait five minutes in the pharmacy than half an hour at the doctor. If the pharmacy thinks it's serious, I can go to the doctor without worrying that I'm wasting their time.

UK Pharmacy
So I go to the pharmacy. He looks at my leg and says, "It's not too bad."

Wonderful. Not as bad as I thought. A good pice of NLP too. That's neuro linguistic programming. Forget the N. Linguistic programming. Positive language. Tell the patient they are getting better and they will get better, or at least they will feel happier.

Hurray for the NHS. Hurray for the pharmacy. Now that the bites are going down, it seems like a bad dream, a fuss. But at least I have the photos as evidence.

The moral of the story is"
1 You can get over the counter medication late at night from a late night or all night supermarket.

2 You can get information about minor and major health concerns on the internet.

3 You can get advice on the internet - but check against scams before parting with money.

4 Pharmacies in Britain will give advice. You are not being a nuisance. The government wants you to do this rather than wasting a doctor's time for milder ailments. The pharmacy will be glad for you to go in and get familiar with their shop. They are paid for dispensing medicines. They also make a profit if you buy something. You might buy something today. You might come back another time and buy something once you know them and feel at home and friendly towards their friendly staff.

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.

No comments: