Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Thursday, August 30, 2018

I've been bitten! Prevention and cure ideas

Problem
Outdoors, I was bitten. Red skin. Irritation. Distraction from work. What is it, midges, poison ivy, nettlerash, wasp, gnat, mosquito, horsefly?

Answers
I was bitten after going into the garden at dusk to collect flowers and fruit. I didn't think to cover up. Even if I had thought, my second thought would have been that if I delayed any longer it would be too late, getting dark, and I would not want to be stumbling around in the dark, disturbing night life.

Foxes
In gardens in the UK we currently have lots of foxes in London, England, (not London, Canada), three foxes in one garden this year (writing in 2018 - in case you read this years later).
Fox in garden. Photo by Angela Lansbury, copyright.
The reason for the poor quality of the photo is that it has been blown up. I took it from a very safe distance. Besides, as soon as you go near, the fox will run off. See those ears. It's listening. And watching.

Years ago we had an adder in the garden in Stanmore. Actually a pair of adders, a fat pregnant one and the male protecting and writhing alarmingly when caught with a hook and plonked in a glass box by snake-catchers to take off to a zoo. My parents moved house shortly after. "Nothing to do with the snake," my mother claimed. If she had not made a conscious decision, I think she made an unconscious one.

If you can see a snake or a fox, you can retreat or avoid it. But insects - pesky things. They sneak up on you. Nettles and ivy, you can wave at them, shout and curse as much as you like. They won't move away.

Braving all these imagined and remembered alarms, I tripped gaily down the proverbial garden path. Ignoring irritation I finished the job. I came back itching and scratching.

Singapore
In the UK I tend to uncover, unless I'm off to hike for a day. In Singapore I am much more careful. Signs on buildings warn of outbreaks of Dengue. A friend of mine has dengue. Malaria lasts and recurs for years. You don't want that.

My family told me they bought:
Germolene from any branch of Boots chemist, including in and near airports and railway stations in the UK;
Johnsons baby powder.

I tried the Germolene and was disappointed that it didn't seem to have instant effect in the first half minute. However, an hour later I had forgotten all about the bites. A day or two later the bites had compeltely gone.

So that's my experience. What's yours? You can reply to me on Facebook.

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker. Please share links to your favourite posts.

No comments: