Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, August 20, 2018

Holiday Reading - Comedy, Tragedy, Tragic-Comedy Or Fun Fiction - packing books, suggestions

Problem
What do you read about the country before you go there? On holiday? When delayed at the airport? On the beach?

Why Misery Memoirs?
A misery memoir, which makes you find your delays and inconveniences pale by comparison?

Write A Novel
In November you can sign up to write your own novel. (Maybe faction - fact turned into fiction to protect you from libel action by your nearest and dearest!

A Good Story
I just reminded my neighbours of the time they took in an umbrella I had delivered, thinking it was a free gift from a catalogue company. Now they say they have no recall of this incident. Luckily we are all on good terms. They just grin and say, "No recollection of this - but it's a great story!")

Prison Memoirs
I like to read true stories. Ideally with a happy end.

However, other people like drama, horror stories, read about the 'Bangkok Hilton' - prison. I frown. Unless you are planning to risk ending up in prison, why subject yourself to such miserable reading!

I must admit, I have read three prison memoirs. They make rivetting reading. They make me think about not carrying anything for anybody else.

Refusing Parcels
I suppose it's a warning not to ever take a parcel for anybody else. I was asked to take a parcel on a ferry by a stranger.  No way. A nuisance. A stress. A danger. I told her to give it to the ferry staff.

Then, good friends ask my family to bring over items from shops.

If you do take a parcel, insist that it is unwrapped because it is going to be unwrapped by the customs officers anyway. And insist that the person who gave it to you puts their name and instructions on it including their signature e.g. wedding gift from John Brown to Auntie Mabel.

How do you refuse? Say you are already overweight. Tell them you are unsure of your direction and time or travel and to send their parcel by air, tracked, instead.

Carrying Books
To save delays, open all wrapped goods, such as those sent by Amazon and carried along with you. Re-seal them so they don't fall apart and are protected, but can be quickly inspected.

Cover paperback books with protective covers, preferably waterproof covers or ziplock bags so your water does not spill onto them.

What do you want to read?
Here's a list I made at Writers' Summer School when I attended an excellent course run by Paul Dodgson at The Hayes, Swanwick, Derbyshire:

Other People’s Houses Core Segal (Kindertransport siblings).
Into the Arms of Strangers.
Writing Autobiography by Laurie Lee
Hilary Mantel Wolf Hall
A million little pieces by James Frey
Clive James Unreliable Memoirs
Jan Morris Conundrum

Beach books
Pick your own comedy or chick lit.

Misery Memoirs
Bad Blood by Lorna Sage.
(My book group read this. The book group organizer said, "A misery memoir - but funny!"

Evocation of The past
Rosie by Rose Tremain.
I read an extract. Not enough action for me. But others like the picture of the past.

Prison And Prison Escape Books
https://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2016/apr/11/books-behind-bars-five-best-stories-prison-life-alan-sillitoe-erwin-james

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer.


No comments: