Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Saturday, August 18, 2018

THE AA to the Rescue - what do you need to do and say?

Problem
Who do you call when you are in trouble on the motorway.

Answer
The AA. You might have homestart or only the rescue service.

Before going on a trip, either have your AA card handy, or write the AA phone number in your phone, or put it in the glove box, or stick it on a clipboard. I am thinking of writing it on a sticker to put in any car in which I am travelling.

I think you can also call the AA if you are not a member and pay them to rescue you, and/or join for the year.

I had to call them to help me. I had the number to hand.

They asked me where I was. I was at a petrol station on the MI. Going north bound or south bound. Which petrol station? The AA man had it on his visual map.

I had to sign a hand-held machine he was carrying, like signing for the delivery of a letter.

I didn't have my AA number. However, they were able to trace me from my name and address and car number. As I don't have a good memory for my car number, I had to leap out of the car and find it. After that I typed my car number into the AA contact details so that if I ever had to call them again I had the number handy. You never know, next time I might be in a snowstorm or unable to get out of the car, so it's handy to have it.


AA van side view. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.

When I got home I found an account of exactly what the problem was and what they had done to help solve it, at least temporarily. The mail contained the name of all the local garages - local to the area where I needed help. The AA also have an app.

You can also join other organizations such as the RAC (Royal Automobile Club?). I believe there\s Green Flag, too.

When we lived in the USA we joined the American Automobile Association, which was AAA.
When I clicked onto a serach engine for car rescue, up popped a sign saying Green Flag was currently offering 50% off the AA and RAC membership prices.

Useful websites and information for travellers:
AA
theAA.com
Emergency helpline:
0800887766
0800 181 00

COMPARISON OF COMPANIES
https://www.knowyourmoney.co.uk/breakdown-cover/?adgroup

RAC
www.rac.co.uk

GREEN FLAG
www.greenflag.com

OTHER INFORMATION
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/apr/03/rac-facing-millions-in-refund-costs-over-breakdown-cover-renewal-letters

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker. Please share links to your favourite posts.

PS You'll never guess what was on the side of the van which drew up alongside! See next post.

No comments: