Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Thursday, September 6, 2018

Futurelearn's English Teaching Course is Great For Travellers

Problem
I travel a lot so I find it difficult to commit to being in one place and teaching English to pupils who want ongoing lessons.

Answer
I now have the answer. Online teaching.

I signed up for two of Futurelearn's free courses, Italian and teaching English.

Teaching English is a revelation. The course shows you interactive classrooms. Pupils can raise their hands if you have several pupils.

I have found using Skype challenging so I would welcome a video on how you set up a video classroom. How long does it take?

I might try working for a company before going it alone.

Recording lessons is wonderful. A student who is late or sick can catch up.

I have been a member of bilingual Toastmasters speakers' clubs. I would like to create a demo lesson on public speaking, with a Chinese speaker and the English translation as subtitles and vice versa, so you can watch it in real time and replay it later.

It's great for people learning to translate simultaneous translation.

I love the idea of having the lesson recorded.

Video lessons are a great idea for homeschooling.

Children in hospital would benefit. So would refugee camps.

Teaching English to immigrants would be cheap and widely available.

In the past, I have been asked by pupils to help them create a c.v. (Americans call it a resume) for jobs such as being a waiter in a local restaurant. Instead of scrappy notes on bits of paper in handwriting they cannot read, the pupil would end up with a recorded lesson and be able to take a screenshot or maybe print out their c.v.

Is anybody else in Singapore doing this? I'd like to get together and practise it.

Useful Websites in alphabetical order

Adobe classroom

Future learn
futurelearn.com

Google hangouts
iTalk
Kahoot
Skype
Vedama
Zoom

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker. Please share links to your favourite posts.








No comments: