Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Thursday, September 27, 2018

Table at 7, Singapore's East West upmarket special occasion restaurant




Problem
Guaranteed good food? Both Western and Eastern?

Answer
Table at 7, run by chief directors Karl Dobler (who does the Western cooking) and Eugenia Ong (wo does the Eastern cooking.


We were given

Bread and oil.

Starters
My companions went for the shellfish. I am allergic to shellfish and opted for a juice. We shared a half bottle of sparkling wine - Champagne.

Main courses
One of my companions, who does not eat red meat for health reasons, as advised by a doctor, chose had the cod from down under, different from the cod we get in England which is heavier. Excellent.

I like poultry but I had eaten chicken rice at lunch time. (Not a grammatical error, although it does indeed mean chicken and rice, the dish is known as Chicken Rice.)

I chose the meat which came with potato. A reasonably-sized portion which left room for dessert.

Dessert, crumble and coconut ice cream. Photo by Angela Lansbury.

Dessert
Delicious.

Coffee and Chocolate
Coffee looked rather dull. No chocolate?

Ah - the chocolate appeared after the coffee, to sweeten the bill.
One chocolate for each person, three or us, three chocolates. Just right.

You would think that would be obvious. It is to you and me and the directors of this restaurant. But on many occasions I have had two chocolates for three diners, or four or five chocolates for three diners.

In hotels on several occasion I have had one chocolate on a double bed with a hotel booking for two persons and two lots of clothes for a man and a woman - you'd think they might notice two of us and two toothbrushes. I once phoned down and said, Please send up a second chocolate within five minutes. Alternatively send the police after ten minutes because the person who didn't get the chocolate is going to murder the person who ate the chocolate. There was a silence. I don't think their English was up to the translation and the British humour. I repeated, Please send another chocolate. We have one chocolate. Two people need two chocolates.

Two of the dishes were unavailable. As compensation they offered a free juice drink to the other two diners.

Bill - a whopping 300 plus Singapore dollars for three, actually less in pounds sterling. Glad I was not paying.

Unless you have a big budget, I would describe this as a special occasion place.

What can they do for you for a special occasion?

Birthdays
Another table had a birthday dinner. the birthday boy (a middle aged man with friends) received a dessert with a candle and happy birthday written in chocolate on the plate and the recording and/or staff and guests singing happy birthday which alerted me to look.

Again, full marks. (I went to an Italian restaurant in Singapore and asked what they can do for a birthday. They looked at me warily as if I had asked them to poison the emperor. Obviously too busy and not in need of business nor happy birthday customers.)

Washroom
The washroom at the back on ground level, convenient for everybody, able bodied or not, drunk or sober but tired, no time wasting up and down stairs. Soothing candle in the cubicle.

Decor
Black and white with a few pictures. Subtle. Nothing distracting. Understated. I'm a colourful person and like Las Vegas. If you are like me, you might be disappointed. If you prefer subtle, you will be relieved. Your eyes are on your companions and your food.

WEBSITE & ADDRESS
Karl Dobler
+65 9660 9480
KARL@TABLEAT7.COM

ENGENIA ONG
Tel:+65 9666 4241

Salut Private Dining Pte Ltd
7 Mohamed Sultan Rd
S'pore 238957
WWW.TABLE@7.COM

(65 is the code for Singapore if you are ringing from overseas)
Facebook TABLEAT7




No comments: