Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Teaching English and maths

I teach English. As a home tutor I was also asked to help pupils complete their French, Maths and history projects. 

I remember a Korean boy asked me for help with the maths.

 I said, "I can't teach maths. I teach English." 

The pupil said, "I need you to translate the English instructions. What are subtract and multiply?" 

"Okay," I demonstrated. 

His workbook had the answers at the back. 

What had he done wrong? I could see in one answer he had added instead of subtracted. 

Then he asked, "What's the difference between division and long division?" 

I gradually got drawn into it until I was teaching maths.

 I will teach anything if I am paid.

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.

No comments: