Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Swimming costume - recycling the bust support

Problem
I bought a new swimming costume with boy legs and short sleeves from Mohammed Mustafa department store near Little India in Singapore. I tried it on in the store to be sure it was large enough. When I got it home and tried it on again I realised that although it had a lining to take bust cups, none were supplied. I knew I could buy supports on line. Was the costume supposed to have supports which were supplied only at checkout to prevent theft - or was the swimsuit aimed at men, or was it unisex? I would need to go onto the swimsuit company website to find out, or return to the department store. (Or try phoning - but it seemed too complicated to explain on the phone.)

Answer
RECYCLING OLD BRAS AND BIKINI TOPS
I was thinking about using the bust part from an old bikini or bra and sewing it inside. I would have to cut the sides and back of the bra or bikini top to keep it in place whilst swimming - not going up or down or sideways - and to prevent if falling out and floating off! I might have to cut it down the middle so separate the cups.

TRANSFERRING BUST SUPPORTS FROM OLD SWIMSUITS
I tried on my old swimsuit which had bust supports, not the plastic hard mesh type but thin sponges.
I realised that the supports from the old swimsuit were still in good condition and could be transferred to the new costume.

RECYCLING OLD SWIMSUITS
I had kept my old swimsuit 'just in case' I needed any part. I had never thought of using the bust support. I was thinking of using the sleeves to extend another costume and protect my upper arms or lower arms from sunburn or cancer-causing rays. Another thought I had was to use a strip of fabric in a ribbon to anchor another costume, make a tie belt, or back of the neck tie, or spiralled into a decorative rose in the centre bust or waist or front of one shoulder or the top of both shoulders, or epaulettes in matching black or a contrasting colour (to match a swimhat or shoes or a towelling wrap).

The moral is, recycle that old swimsuit to modify your new one.

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.

No comments: