Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Friday, September 14, 2018

Packing, unpacking and re-packing tips



Problem
As a teenager I carried too much and ended up with clothes which could not be worn because they did not match anything. I once had orange nail vanish, red lipstick and a pink top. I had to go without wearing the pink top, or go without lipstick. I went without wearing the top.

Answers
Later, as a busy travel writer, I kept a case permanently packed for short trips.

COLOUR CO-ORDINATION
My colour scheme was black white and red. lack trousers and black skirt for day, satin black skirt for evening. two tee-shirts and a smart white blouse for the evening. Two different scarves so I looked different on two evenings.

More recently I have had another method. I wear two reversible dresses with a loose white blouse worn open like a jacket and a black wrap around skirt on top. If my luggage goes missing, I have five outfits.

SECURITY
On a plane I also keep my phone, passport and credit card on my body in concealed pockets or a photographer's jacket rather than in a bag. I can go to the loo and leave my bag behind, sure that I won't come back and find my passport gone. If I had to abandon a plane or train or car suddenly, leaving my bag behind, I would still have my identification and a source of communication and funds.

EMERGENCY FOOD
Many people like to travel with a chocolate bar, just in case of delays. I once sat in a plane for several hours on a runway.

If two of you are travelling, with two suitcases, you might have half of each person's clothes in each suitcase. That way, if one of the suitcases goes missing, you both have some clothes.

Always carry a book or notebook to keep yourself occupied in the event of a delay. Sometimes I notice a book i have not time to read, or a magazine, and I put it inside the suitcase of carry on bag for my next trip.

PACKING LIST STORAGE
Where can you keep you magic packing list? One copy pasted inside the wardrobe door. A second copy inside the suitcase, (so you don't go home leaving  your slippers under the bed. A third copy emailed to yourself. If your luggage goes missing, you know what to claim for.

COUNT YOUR CASES
One checked in bag
One wheel on bag
One umbrella
One shoulder bag
4 items.

Removed your jacket on the plane? 4 items.

Luggage Photos
I photograph my luggage at the airport. If it goes missing, I can spot it on the luggage carousel, and describe it accurately in the forms you have to fill in.

CHECKLIST
Number of days at destination. Number of evenings. Number of days travelling.

Suitcase and key, luggage tag, identifying ribbon tied around the handle or coloured strap around whole case, especially for a black suitcase..
Umbrella.
Coats or jackets, shoes, hats, travel outfit.
Underwear.
Socks
Medicines
Diary, address book.
Phone, camera and ipad or laptop.
Swimtuit and hat or sportwear, gym kitc, tennis, golf, ski clothes.
Hiking outfit.
Maps and travel insurance.
Reading matte, diary, dictionary.
Business cards.
Medicines and first aid kit, dental repair and glasses repair.
Sunglasses and spare sighted glasses of prescription.
Sewing kit.
Gifts for hosts.
Money for taxi or shuttle bus at destination and for taxi home from the airport.
Note of car park at airport.
Hotel name and printed booking record.
Frequent flyer number - check additional potential perks such as extra baggage allowance, fast check-in.
Check in online, choosing seat.

Seat Choices
Window seats are good for photography and sleeping propped against the wall. For more tips on seats,  see later post.

Fro
Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker. I have other posts on packing. Please bookmark and share links to your favourite posts.

No comments: