Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

A Guided Walk From Green Park Station and The Ritz to Berry Brothers Wine Merchants Shop

Problem
What's the best route? What can I see and photograph on the way?

Answers
I am not an official London tour guide, although I have been on a day's training, observing. Just follow me, your friendly writer on the internet, and see what I saw. Starting from Green Park station you have lots of choices of walking routes. Coming out of Green Park station, I saw the Ritz hotel ahead. Since it was sunny, we saved that route for the return journey and headed into Green Park.

Every time I walk anywhere in London I see something new. As writer and dictionary compiler Johnson said, He who is tired of London is tired of life.
Walk through Green Park in the Queen's footsteps, or sit and read. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.

An information panel told me the story of Queen Anne and how she used to walk along what is now Green Park, making houses overlooking the park more popular and expensive.

Walk south, as I did, to Berry Brothers & Rudd's new shop, I followed a friend, who knows the back routes. A few yards beyond the information panel a small alley leads between the houses.

Compare London and Bucharest
The Narrowest Street
When I was in Brasov, a regional capital of Romania, one of the city's main attractions was an alley called the narrowest street, or String Street.

String Street, Brasov, regional capital of Romania. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.

Narrow Alley off Green Park, London. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.

This alley off Green Park seems equally small to me. I must go back and take a photo of somebody with their arms outstretched. You must do it before 10 pm when the passage is closed. If you visit, that would be an amusing photo. But this passage is technically private property, not a public street.



When you emerge at the other end, you can walk across to an old English hotel

Photo of exterior of hotel with British and American flags. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.

As I walked towards the hotel, I saw a lady walking towards me carrying a bunch of flowers. How very English, I thought. I had not known that carrying bunches of flowers upwards was English, until I went to Romania. In Bucharest, the capital of Romania, people carry bunches of flowers with the heads downwards.


A women carrying bunches of flowers upwards in a street in London, England. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.

A woman carrying a bunch of flowers with the heads down in Bucharest, capital of Romania. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.

People carrying bunches of flowers, head down, in Bucharest, capital of Romania. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.



Elegant flowers in window boxes and a blue door. Georgian sash windows. London, England. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.

A London blue heritage plaque saying that Frederic Chopin was here in London, England. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.

I was passed by an Amphibian vehicle on a tour of London. I took these in Philadelphia, USA, and New York city, New York state, in the USA. Great fun when you tip into the water.  Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.

Whether you want to walk through Green Park, sit in the sun, or walk through the back streets of London, or take an amphibious tour, always plenty to see and do in London, England.

The second part of my walk and Berry Brothers is in the next post.


USEFUL WEBSITES
UK
https://tfl.gov.uk
https://art.tfl.gov.uk/projects/permanent-commission-by-daniel-buren/
www.visitlondon.com
www.londonpass.com
www.visitbritain.org
ROMANIA
www.tarom.ro Romanian budget airline.

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker. Please share links to your favourite posts.


No comments: