Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, July 3, 2017

Where to find real 100 per cent Maple Syrup, Maple Farm Visits, and Maple Gifts

Maple Syrup, 100% pure and Canadian, with maple leaf design label, on kitchen worktop, showing it is popular and nearly used up! Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.

Problems To Solve
My maples syrup is nearly finished so I need to stock up with another. What's 'real' maple syrup? Where can I buy it? Can I see it being made or learn more from the source?

Answers
Maple syrup which is 100 per cent maple syrup is obviously, well, probably, best, but what's the difference?

Maple flavour syrup will have less maple syrup and more of other ingredients. Read the label.

The real test is to buy one of each and see if you like the difference. Do a blind test.

Story
We did a blind test in Singapore. Maple syrup and other imported food products are expensive in Singapore. So when the Canadian one hundred per cent maple syrup which we had brought with us from England ran out we tried the cheaper American maple flavour syrup from a local Singapore supermarket. The real maple syrup won the taste test in our family.

Sugars and Syrups
Flavour apart, is maple syrup good or bad? Is eating maple syrup adding sugar to your diet or removing it? That may depend on how much you are consuming.

Also consider whether you are using it as a substitute or addition to your diet. Other factors include: whether you are overweight, or dieting.

A separate issue, if you are a healthy weight, is whether you want to reduce your risk of cancer. Another question is who produces the tests, are they independent and who do you believe?

What Colour and Grade Is Your Syrup?
I was very interested to see that grading is even more detailed than a simple percentage of maple syrup used. Maple syrup comes in different grades. As far as I can tell, in the US a darker grade comes from syrup taken later in the season (a bit like late harvest grapes producing sweet wine). The darker, stronger flavour syrup is used in cooking.

Quality Needed For Cooking
I have often had ice cream supposedly flavoured with vanilla and foods supposedly flavoured with maple syrup and not detected much taste. Maybe the restaurant owner or cook or supplier has either used maple syrup as a selling point and not cared or not realised that you get a stronger flavour with a different kind of maple syrup.

So, if you are cooking, as well as eating, check what you are getting. In restaurants I frequently ask to see the bottle of the house wine and the bottles of any unusual ingredients used. I usually ask because I am impressed with the good quality and want to compliment the sommelier or chef and am curious as to what produces better results.

However, a discussion on whether a cheaper or different ingredient produces equally good results or 'good enough' results is also worthwhile. In my experience cooks and chefs are keen to show off their knowledge and expertise.

I used to be shy about discussing production. But if you are friendly most people are friendly back. If staff are young and inexperienced and know less than you do they may well be grateful to be given new knowledge and choices.

Maple Syrup Photo
I was sitting thinking: "Where do I find a picture of maple syrup? I don't want to take one from a website without permission, even though they will probably allow it, writing will waste time. Wikipedia is a source of free pictures but people can go straight to Wikipedia and read (admittedly no longer short articles in popular style, increasingly authoritative, detailed and too long for a quick read)."

I raised my eyes from my screen and saw my breakfast maple syrup sitting on the shelf in front of me!

I took a picture of the front from close up and it was distorted. I called to a friendly professional photographer, "My photo's distorted! What do I do?"

He answered, "You're too close."

So I took a picture from further away which meant I had to spend time cropping it.

The picture did not show much information.

I turned the bottle around and took a photo of the label on the back. Then I read it.

I had probably read it the first time I bought the product, a year or so ago. I would have been looking for the ingredients.

This time I read every word. Firstly an interesting story about the origins of maple syrup production. usefully If found  and the reason behind the company name - which I had not remembered. Now I have a memory aid for the company name. When looking in a supermarket, even when not buying, I can check what they stock and whether it is the brand I bought before or another one. The brand I bought was Buckwud. W U D  for wood. I shall create my own memory aid, "This buck would buy Buckwud.'

Maple syrup bottle on kitchen workshop showing Bukwud label. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.

Refrigerate or Not?
I noted something else. The label says keep the syrup refrigerated (only after opening?). That's interesting because we have a constant dispute in my family. I want to refrigerate everything. Others in my family says that honey goes solid. Websites tell me not to refrigerate eggs - then another website or consumer says you can or should. I would always go by advice from the producers. In this case the producers say refrigerate.

Maple Syrup Visits and On-Site Shops, Vermont
Canada produces the majority of the world's maple syrup.
You can visit producers for rmont/maple_sugarhouses_open_year-round.aspx

Where to buy maple syrup? Everywhere worldwide. Look for real maple syrup. I've tried the almost maple syrup and it doesn't taste the same. In addition to maple syrup, the factories have websites selling all kinds of products, maple butter, BBQ sauce, and candies.

Tips

General article on Maple syrup:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maple_syrup

For a discussion on maple syrup and sugar see:
https://authoritynutrition.com/maple-syrup/

Visits
CANADA
https://www.todaysparent.com/family/activities/best-maple-syrup-farms/
USA
http://www.visitvt.com/about_ve
Vermont is in the USA.

For Products To Buy
Canadian producer has products including maple leaf shape bottle and recipe pages.
https://www.maplesyrupworld.com/pages/maple-syrup-recipe.html

http://www.dakinfarm.com/Pure-Maple-Products.html
(Ten minute video, changing exhibition of photos, display of evaporator. Large shop with farm produce.)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=maple+leaf+tshirt

Action To Take
1 RESEARCH LOCAL SUPERMARKETS Check out brands and label of maple syrup in my nearest supermarket.
2 HOLIDAY TRIP PACKING NOTES Remember to buy Maple Syrup when going overseas to live or stay. Add shopping note to top of packing list.
3 WISHLISTS Note names and websites of farms offering maple syrup visits for next family visit or business trip to Canada or northern USA. Make a travel wishlist, add notes in my diary, email myself, or bookmark websites so I can find the information on my next trip. If leaving laptop behind, make note in mobile phone.

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker. See also previous post on Canada. Please share links to your favourite posts.

No comments: