Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Writing Rhyming Couplets About Your Holiday, Capturing the Moment, and Captioning Photos



I took a trip to Singapore, liked what I saw and wanted more


Problem
You can't remember the places you visited. You spend a lot of time waiting around on stations and at airports.

Answer
Write rhyming couplets about your holiday. You can turn them into a poem or a rap song. Or just use them to remember vital information or amusing information. You can also use a poem for a wedding speech - or even a funeral.

Story
I went to Harrow Writer' Circle summer party. We had prosecco and home made sandwiches and cakes and salads provided by members and circle funds. Members read their work.

Member Alan read out a series of rhyming couplets about his holiday in America. I thought that was a great idea I would copy.

A member of my family told me to take a book next time I go on a journey which is long or likely to involve changes and delays. I don't need a book. I just need a notebook. Then I can write down rhyming couplets about my journey. I can list the place names, such as stations, airports, landmarks, restaurants.

Tips
You can find rhymes in a rhyming dictionary or on line.
Cover your notebook with a duplicate or no longer needed map of the destination.
Use a favourite pen.

Angela Lansbury with caricature of William Brougham. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker. Author of: Poetry Workbook. Poetry Pets and pests. An extract from Alan's poem is in my next post. 

Useful websites
Travel diaries online from Amazon, stationery shops
Blank notebooks - Daiso / supermarkets
Rhyming dictionary or Thesaurus from Amazon and big bookshops

Please share links to your favourite posts.

No comments: