Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Saturday, July 29, 2017

Paintings Produced On a Painting Holiday


 The pupils in the art workshop at Writers Holiday in Fishguard, Wales, had a different demonstration and exercise each hour long session on the painting course. For this painting we had been told to find a coin and draw around it to create a moon, leaving the paper inside the circle white (or painting it white later). We then added the sky in two or more colours. 

Some people added trees below, which was the scene outside our window overlooking the Fishguard Bay from Fishguard Bay Hotel. However, I am a city girl. So I drew a city scene.


Blue sky at night over the city by Angela Lansbury. 2017. Copyright.


A walk by the lake. By Angela Lansbury. 2017. Copyright.

I did a second painting with trees. The instructor, Susan Alison, suggested that I put something in the foreground to increase the perspective. First I added the picket fence, similar to the one outside the window. 

Fence and walk from Fishguard Bay Hotel, Fishguard, Wales. Photo by Angela Lansbury, copyright.

Then I thought I would add a man and a dog. 

In one session we drew the human body facing you, then with legs bent when walking. In another session we had drawn a dog. I had asked for a session on a dog. A previous year the class had requested a session on drawing a horse.

You might like the earlier version of the painting of the lake, with its view through the trees to the boat. I am glad I took a photo of the painting at each stage. That way I could see if I preferred the original version. 

If I ruined it with too much clutter, or a poorly executed figure, I still had a photo of the original. I could copy it as a postcard or book illustration.  I could re-paint it.  

I could use both illustrations for a book chapter or short story. I could start with the view over the lake. Then the man walking the dog. Finally the lake again, without the man and dog.

However, I was very pleased with the addition of the man and the dog. 
You can see that the addition of the man and dog creates a complete change. First we have human interest. Secondly, the eye goes in the direction of the walking man. This creates the impression of a boardwalk or path. It opens up the path ahead of the man. 

For the next Writers' Holiday, (February 2018) see:
www.writersholiday.net

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker. I have other posts about paintings, the painting holiday in Wales, and Wales. Please bookmark and share your favourite posts.

No comments: