Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, July 31, 2017

Walks from Fishguard to the harbour, the fort, and St David's

 Fishguard headland overlooking the sea. Photo by Angela Lansbury.

Problem
Where do you walk?
The cannon on the headland. Photo by Angela Lansbury. 

Answer
Ask the tourist office in Fishguard. Check out a map of Pembrokeshire. Or ask other locals and regular holidaymakers.

Follow in my footsteps.
The signpost on the headland. Photo by Angela Lansbury.

1) HEADLAND
A Welshman, David, and his wife, drove me up to the headland overlooking the harbour. I saw an odd sculpture by British Gas. (Or is it some technical item left over from the old days?
The view out to sea. Take a deep breath. Fresh air. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.

2) FORT
I was driven to the fort. Follow the signs to the downhill path. I asked, "How far?"

"Two minutes," David assured me.

I walked along the path for two minutes. I met a lady with a dog. I asked her, "How far to the fort?"

She replied, "Two minutes."

I walked for two minutes.

So far four minutes. I could see the fort below.

I met another couple coming up. I asked, "How far?"

"About two minutes. But it's very steep."

That 'walk' was going to take me at least four minutes, running downhill fast. The total walk to the fort would take me eight minutes.

But I would not run downhill fast. I would trip once - and then get scared.

Walking around the fort was going to take me at least five minutes. I would be taking photos of three directions from the fort. Then pictures of the fort.

I would be standing around, waiting for other people to get out of the picture. Then, more delay, asking them to stand in the picture, to create foreground interest, human interest.

Finally, asking them to take a picture of me. Just a moment - they would want me to take a picture of them. Not the final picture. Out of politeness, they would want a picture of them with me. Call over granny, Dad, the dog.

After that, more time, returning uphill, slower and slower, puff, puff, would take twice as long.

After spending an indecisive minute, contemplating this, I had lost another minute. I took distant photos of the fort.

From where I was, about halfway, returning took another eight minutes, plus one for a photo stop, and one at the top for the signpost, now I knew the trip was worthwhile.

I got back in the car. I said, "Sorry I took so long. It was a 'Welsh two minutes'. That means about ten minutes, in English or tourist time. Adding photos, plus selfies, because I have not seen it before and might not see it again."

They weren't in the least offended. They laughed. They agreed, "Yes. A Welsh two minutes. Stretched out. Life is very leisurely around here."

(Photos of the fort in the next post.)

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.
Please bookmark your favourite posts and share links with your friends and family.

No comments: