Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Why You Should Sign And Date Signatures And Photos


Problems
How old was I then? Was that in our first house? What was the name of the hotel? Who are these people?

Answers
I now label photos and paintings with my name, the date, and the place.

On the back of the photo you can stick a detailed label. A smaller one on the front can be seen when the photo is framed, and is security in case the label falls of the back. You might not have space on the front and not want to damage the picture's surface.

In a painting you don't have much space and don't want to distract.

I have experimented with putting my name on a poster as part of the picture. Some artists like to use a symbol. Two different people have used a mouse. One was a carver in the north of England.

Stories
1 I have a photo of a wedding group in a back garden in the East End of London. I wish I could identify it.

Is a member of my family in it? Could it be my grandmother's wedding?

I don't recognize the bride nor any of the people. Maybe it's a member of my mother in law's family? But, if so, it's also a member of my extended family, because I married a second cousin (my husband's late mother was my late mother's first cousin.)

I have labelled the back of the photo '1910?' I was going through my family history and noted the date of my grandmother's wedding, 1910. (My mother was born in 1912, two years later.) I have a photo of the wedding couple on the upstairs landing of their house. She is not the same woman as the bride in the photo.  She is wearing different clothes.

2 Why did she not label the photo at the time? Most people do not label wedding photos. The bride and groom know each other and their parents. But the photos will be kept and passed on to grandchildren. By the time the grandchildren are teenagers or in their twenties and interested to look at the photos, or do family tree research, the grandparents will probably be dead, their full first names, surnames, maiden names, and married surnames not recalled, especially if the grandchildren knew granny as as 'Nan' or Bubba' or 'Granny Sally'.

3 I was talking to a group on one of my themes, Why You Should Write Your Family History. I showed a picture of my wedding and told the audience they should label their wedding photos. I turned over my photo and realised that I had not labelled my own wedding photo! I have now remedied that.

4 My full maiden name is Hazel Angela Lansbury. That's a lot to put on a drawing. I dropped the Hazel after I left school where teachers called me Hazel and fellow pupils had nicknamed me Nut.
(When I looked for a name for a publishing house or a stage name for performing comic poetry I found that Hazel Nut is copyrighted as a brand name by all the nut producers. I had to quickly take Hazel Nutter, which is fine for comedy, being amusing, but too silly for any other business.)

Signature
I needed to condense my name to fit into a tiny space when drawing caricatures in the small notebooks, A6 or postcard size. I often drew the picture, then found very little space in the corners for my signature.

I now have a new system. When I remember, I sign the page before I start drawing. This has two advantages:
1 I leave sufficient space for the signature and date.
2 I don't forget.
3 The person being drawn getting impatient or called away, or the event end, doesn't make me close the sketch book quickly before I have time to finish.
4 I can discuss the location or my signature as a distraction to the sitter to get them used to sitting without starting with the nerve-wracking and tense instructions to sit still and look this way commands.

Abbreviating My Signature
At first I abbreviated my signature to Angela. But there are many people called Angela. When I tried to get Angela, combined with London, recalling the author Jack London, I found that at least a dozen people already had that idea. That's why my email is not Angela but Anna. I decided to change my signature from Angela to Angella. That also combines ANGELA and LA nsbury.

You might like to remember that when looking at my signature, or when creating your own, or suggesting a name for a person, or business.

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author, illustrator. I have many posts on painting and destinations. Please bookmark and share your favourite posts.

No comments: