Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, July 17, 2017

What's the difference between Adsense and Affiliate marketing? How do I get them?

Problem
You may have seen suggestions that you sign up for Adsense or Affiliate marketing.  What are they" What's the difference? Any advantage or disadvantage? Any cost? Will they pay me? How much? When?

Answers
For year people involved with selling books were telling me to go to their websites to buy books from Amazon because they (the authors or writers clubs) would get a percentage at no cost to me. They also advised that I and other authors and wiring clubs could make money by signing up.

However an SEO adviser, my son, in MarketAppeal, told me I would not make much money.

Only recently I discovered the differences and tried to sign up.

ADSENSE
Adsense, by google, runs advertisements on a pay per click basis. Every time somebody clicks on an advertisement, even if they don't buy anything, you receive, or are credited with, a fraction of a pound, maybe one penny. I signed up years ago and never saw any money. My son had told me I would not make much. I recently with his help started logging in. I found my Google password, which would not work, changed it to another. Hey presto! I find that over several years I have earned about £13.

AFFILIATE
Then I looked at Affiliate marketing. This is totally different. You don't earn anything if somebody doesn't buy. If they buy you get a small sum. If you are recommending books, such as Harry Potter, and you get under ten or under five per cent of the cost, that is not much. On the other hand if you have a million clicks, or were linking to sites selling expensive cars and diamonds, you might be making much more.

I have a famous name and the lovely actress who shares my name could well be doing jolly well on her sites, and the same goes for world famous singers and actresses with a huge following. What of most of us, lesser known, with fewer clicks, or start up businesses.

Adsense, naturally does not want its ads appearing on dubious sites of business which fold or disappear, start ups which never start. So they are currently only accepting blog websites which have been going for over six months and generate content. I qualified on those grounds.

Readers and click
They ask how many readers you have. I have been working hard to bring up my readership. I have now reached two of my early goals, to move from day one's modest 25 readers to over 100 a day, and to reach 5,000 a month.

PLACE
Watching my numbers on the statistics page, I could find out the readers, and where they were, right now, today, this week, this month, and all time. When I wrote about getting a Russian keyboard, I suddenly had hundreds of readers in Russia. Not just two or three. Five hundred!

I mentioned Java, when talking about expats from Java in Romania, suddenly hundreds of readers in Indonesia!

TIME
I could check the time of day and see that I was getting more American when it was gone midnight in London but still afternoon in the USA.

When writing my posts, from London, England, I had to remember that it was already tomorrow in Asia and Australia, but still time for people in the USA to buy dinner, or watch evening fireworks in person on New Year's Eve and live on the internet.

Signing up for Affiliate Marketing took longer. My son advised me to watch a video on YouTube which I did. My problem is that if I am not familiar with tenhicla terms, even such simple as advice as look in the menu bar, or click on the settings symbol, will not help, if I spend ages looking top, left, right, scrolling up and down, getting tired, frustrated, depressed, losing confidence and enthusiasm.

VIDEO
The video is a great help. A lot of it is trial and error. You just have to devote the time to it. Think of it as a ladder with twenty steps. The first step is finding the link to the web pages. Then choose which to open. You could start at the top. Find a free one or one with a free introduction.

EMAILS
Signing in with your details. Which of your emails?

PASSWORDS
Remembering your log in for Google or Amazon.
If it won't work, generating another.
Noting down the new one somewhere you can find it but nobody else can find it.

EARNINGS
Logging into your account and finding what you have earned.
Nothing if you have just started. Never mind. Get started.

They owe you money but haven't paid. Why? They won't pay less than £50.

Bother! Never mind. Now you must earn more.

You must make sure they have the right address for you. (You may have moved house or given the address of a relative who had moved house. Or your post may be going to a relative who thinks it is a circular and chucks it in the bin.)

BANKS BIC and IBAN
Now you have to give them your bank details. They want the BIC and IBAN numbers. What's that and how do I find it?

Simple. They just need to know who to pay.
BIC means ..
IBAN means ..

My son says that if you look for a French word starting with an initial letter a series of initial letters makes sense. These two are bank codes generated by different organisations in the early days, a bit like Apple and Microsoft having their own different systems.

So BIC for a bank means something like Banco or Banca, meaning Bank, I will be something like Interntional and C will be something like code.

OK, now we know what it is, where do we find it?

Either on documents from your bank, or log into your bank account website. If you are lucky, your computer will log in automatically. If it's a shared account, your family member of business partner may have a laptop or computer near them and be able to give you the details quickly.

COPY AND PASTE
Don't write down and then type in the number. You could be mistyping and sending all your money to somebody else. Always copy and paste to reduce the chance of error. The same goes for email addresses.

I have had no end of trouble. People have double letters in their name. Linda and Lynda. Such and Sush. Banco and Banca . Spell checker tries to help and changes what I typed.

So, heeding the advice, copy the correct number.

WHY ADD TAGS?
Now, they want you to add a tag. Why? It's just a quick code for your name or website name. Why? Because a link on your site sends your reader to Amazon, but Amazon doesn't know that the reader was referred by you, unless the tag tells them (from Aunty Angela - or whoever - pay commission to Aunty Angela).

ADVERTISEMENT SITING
On some systems you have a choice of choosing which advertisement to add, where to put the advertisements, at the top or bottom of the page, only on your home page, on every post or both, adding a tag or letting the system add the tag for you.

If you are smart at technical stuff, or have an assistant who is, you can start refining. Or you can look for a system which does everything for you automatically. My idea was to get started fast.

I hope this helps you. Good luck.

BENEFITS TO YOU
Even if you don't do it, or don't gain a fortune, now you know who is benefitting financially, and how you can help your friends, family and colleagues.

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker. Please follow me, bookmark, and share links to your favourite posts.







No comments: