Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Welsh words: new news newspaper newspapers, Sir, sir or madam

Problems
I see the words Cyngor Sir Penfro under Pembrokeshire County Council. I think I know which word is which but must check to be sure. Is Cygnor county or council? Is sir council or of?

Answers
(Spaces inserted to e v a d e automatic spell checker!)
Welsh - English
Council - C y n g o r
county - sir (I think: A country gentleman from this COUNTY, a man who counts - yes, SIR.
Penfro - Pembrokeshire (I think: Pem and Pen are similar; fro - from that area which sounds like Pem)

English Welsh
council - cyngor (I think: I am cynical about the council and go to remonstrate cyn-go-r)
county - sir (a bit like shire)
Pembrokeshire - Penfro

More words which sound similar:
Welsh - English
a n n w y l    s y r - dear sir

English Welsh
dear Sir - a n n w y l   S y r
or Madam - neu Madam
new - n e w y d d (double letters d d are pronounced 'th')
news - n e w y d d i o n
Newspaper - p a p u r   n e w y d d
newspapers - p a p u r a u  n e w y d d

Travel Tips
https://www.visitbritainshop.com/world/ (trips, tours, offers: London; England, Scotland, Wales)


Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, illustrator, teacher of English and other languages

No comments: