Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Saturday, December 3, 2016

Philip Larkin Added To Poets Corner in Westminster Abbey



A memorial to poet Philip Larkin has been added to Poets Corner in Westminster Abbey.
Philip Larkin (1922-1985) is not buried in Westminster Abbey but in Yorkshire. You can see a photo of his gravestone from Wikipedia. A statue of Larkin is on Kingston upon Hull station.

I am not sure that I like Larkin. He famously wrote, "They f... you up, your Mum and Dad ..." I would not normally even quote a four letter word. However, in this case I feel I must. I had lovely parents and I miss them.

He said to an interviewer: "Deprivation is for me what daffodils were for Wordsworth."

I think I prefer Wordsworth. That said, he was certainly memorable, and an influence on other poets and writers. I tend to think of his life as a warning. As the saying goes: 'There but for the grace of God, go I.'

I do, however, like his comment on life being like a train.

I would like to add my own parody.

On Philip Larkin

My Mum and Dad they brought me up
To think that working hard brought luck
They gave me love and education
And devotion to the nation

They muck you up, the poets do
So much that they say is not true
Often I spend an hour or two
Then think I've better things to do

Than listen to them rant and rave
I'd rather think of being brave
Not see life as a dark, sad cave
But tut, laugh, give a goodbye wave.

Angela Lansbury copyright 2016 December 2nd.

More Information From
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Larkin
http://www.westminster-abbey.org/our-history/famous-people?collection=wma-people&query=poets+corner
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-38187840 BBC article
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/dec/02/philip-larkin-poets-corner-westminster-abbey

Angela Lansbury - author of twenty books including
Poetry Pets and Pests. (Lulu.com)

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.
type in Angela Lansbury, author or travel writer or poet. Fortunately there are only four people with my name. Most people I look up on Facebook and google and linkedIn have twenty namesakes worldwide. As for people called Patel, Cohen and Levy, Singh - several million of those.
Follow me on Facebook and like my pages here and there and everywhere including linking to me on LinkedIn, Watching me on YouTube

No comments: