Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Wednesday, December 7, 2016

How to remember people at conferences



When I worked as personal assistant to the late Eric Webster, author of How to Win The Business Battle, he would come back from lunch and I would fill in a card index card about his lunch.

Old Card Index
The card had the name of the person he had just met, their business or home address or both, phone numbers and other details added from their business card. Next came the date and name of the restaurant where they met. Next the subjects discussed. Add the name and job of their spouse. The names and ages of their children and any successes or concerns. Then the business history, success or concerns. Finally anything my boss Eric promised to send them, copies of news cuttings about other businesses or trends, funny stories.

He then dictated a letter thanking them for the meeting. At the end of the letter was the word enc. He checked the spelling and grammar and sense of the letter, spelling of the names, and that the promised enclosure was enclosed. The letter was stamped and posted. The same day.

Also on the card was the date of the next planned meeting, such as a month later, or when the person was next in the area. Into our diary went a follow up date, and a note to enquire about the success of the hospital treatment or the children's exams, or the business proposal.

Modern Photos
When you come back from a holiday, conference or business meeting you know where you've just been. Yes, but you will have forgotten weeks, months, years later. I photograph people at conferences holding their business card. That way I can match names to faces. I take a photo of people I like or want to remember and VIPs. I then offer to send them the photo. That means they have to give me their email. I type it into my phone or ask them to do so.

Tip
Note names and dates of people you meet.
Send photos same day or same week.
Keep photos with names attached.
Mark diary dates of later events.
Follow up with thank you.
Have phone alerts for follow-ups.

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer.
Follow my posts, like them and share them.
Check out my books on Amazon and Lulu and buy them for yourself or for others for Christmas and birthday presents and business and social gifts.

No comments: