Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Thursday, December 15, 2016

Tube Maps and What to see on or near the tube stations of London



I just wrote a post on what I saw near Embankment station, the London Eye, when I thought I should add which lines go to Embankment station? The answer is four lines: Bakerloo, Circle, District and Northern.

Problem
What can you show visitors which is nearby or costs nothing - especially if you live in a city, but on the outskirts, and your visitors want your unique advice?

Answer
For the benefit of my foreign visitors, I'm planning, well in advance of my next visitors, to list on a train map the place you can see on each line from the train, at a station, or when you get off at the station and walk around.

Here are the lines and stations and my findings so far:

Lines:
Bakerloo
Central
Circle
District
Hammersmith and City
Jubilee
Metropolitan
Piccadilly
Victoria
Waterloo and City
Docklands Light Railway

Eleven lines!

Highlights in the central area which most tourists visit, on the zone one travel card:
Bakerloo Line: (Baker Street to Waterloo)
Baker Street station: Sherlock Holmes statue; Madame Tussauds; Sherlock Holmes museum shop.
Charing Cross station: Trafalgar Square; Nelson's Column; National Portrait Gallery; National Gallery.
Embankment station: View London Eye from a distance, lit at night.

Central:
Ealing to Bank. Highlight St Paul's Cathedral.

Circle
District
Hammersmith and City
Jubilee
Metropolitan
Piccadilly
Victoria
Waterloo and City
Docklands Light Railway

This will take me hours. I'll come back to it.

Personal Story
I am now sorry I didn't number my posts to make it easier for me and my readers to refer back to a previous post by number. I could go back and number each post. But that would take a while. Note to self, when starting a new blog, number each post.

Tips
If you like the tube, go to the London Transport Museum.

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer. Author and speaker.
See more about and by me on Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube. Please like my pages, and share.


No comments: