Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Friday, December 9, 2016

Should you and I update posts?


Problem
You find more material to add to a post. Do you update your old post or write a new one?

Answer
I just updated my post on a website adding with the words UPDATE that a restaurant (B and K) which had a one star rating now had a five star rating (the top number for hygiene etc) because it would be unfair to them if somebody saw the previous post and did not know about the later one.

You can't update every post. There isn't time. You may forget - unless you do a search of your own blog. You might want to do an end of the year update, places closed down, new places, change of ratings. I think you should add an update at the end of an old post if you can find it and have the time in these circumstances:

To protect the people mentioned in a post, their associated businesses, customers, families and friends, but also to help your readers, I or you may wish to update or delete a post if:

1 A restaurant rating goes up or down in either Michelin or hygiene.
2 If a restaurant closes down. If it moves. If the menu has changed.
3 If somebody dies.
4 A person convicted of a crime wins an appeal or the circumstances are disputed or the sentence has been spent and you (are legally or morally obliged to no longer mention it) but you cannot delete the old post.

I often go back to add an address or website to a post. If that's all, I might add an update to everybody to share that I have added some websites. To send out a share and make them read again the next day is annoying, so I try to add more than one website. I find I am typing a whole new paragraph, I copy it and cut it and write a new post.

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and editor.

No comments: