Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Wednesday, December 7, 2016

How to Remember Names



If you read books on remembering names you will hear that Americans repeat a name three times.


Stories
Wedding Speeches And Names
In my book How To Be The Best Man I suggested that in the best man's speech he could comment on the names of the host or guests. For example, he could take the meanings of names. How many bakers and butchers and smith? How many blacks, whites, greens, silvers and golds? How many of the same name? Did he call the name Maria, and find that the bride and three waitresses ran over. (Or did the groom call the name Maria and find that his wife and three waitresses came running. How did he explain that to his new wife!) Endless possibilities to complement and describe the audience, remember their names, and remind the bride and groom and other guests of each other's names.

Names Of Guests At Toastmasters Meetings
In December 2016 I was asked when I arrived at a meeting to be the Table Topics Master. My job was to invite guests to vie a two minute speech on a subject of may choice, preferably the theme of the evening. I remember two of the guests. Two days later I can still remember their names.

The person on my right and the right of my photos of the evening was Earnest. I asked his name, which was Earnest, asked him to say the spelling, to be sure I had heard right, and then said, "Earnest, I earnestly entreat you to come up and do a table topic."

The guest on my left, and the left of my photos of the evening, was called Victor. I wondered whether I had heard correctly. I asked, "Is that Victor with a C or Victor with a K - can you spell it?" He said, "It's Victor with a c, V I C T O R." I replied, ""Victor, with a C, will you please come up and do a table topic - you may be the victor - you may be victorious!

Earnest was earnest but Victor was victorious. He won the ribbon.


Tips
1 Ask the name
2 Repeat the name
3 Check the spelling
4 Comment on the nationality, religion, language of the name
5 Ask the origin of the name or offer to trace it
6 Write down the name
7 Put the name in your phone
8 Photograph the person
9 Find their photo in the programme or newspaper or media
10 Make a joke or praise the name or find an alliteration.

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer.
Like my posts and pages, follow me and share my posts.
Read excerpts from my books and buy them from Amazon and Lulu.com

No comments: