Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Thursday, December 1, 2016

Hindu Temple In Kingsbury, white, colourful temples in Singapore


Driving through London suburbs you see Hindu temples in shining white, mosques, synagogues, churches, public buildings, as well as art deco houses and blocks of flats in white with green tiles and Victorian mock-Tudor houses in black and white, buildings in London red brick made from local London clay, Georgian windows. Increasingly we have foreigners from sunny climes painting their homes in pinks and purples, greens, a delight for the eye.

Here's a lovely white Hindu temple in Kingsbury. You pass it on the main road between Hendon and the Edgware Road and Kingsbury, perhaps on your way out again to Kingsbury or passing through on your way to Kenton or Harrow.

I photographed it from a distance. Then I was able to get a better view as we were nearer. I always take the distant view first, just in case my better view gets blocked by a tree or a lorry (as you say in the USA, a truck).

Later I was able to crop out the windows of the vehicle I was travelling in and the surroundings.


I was lucky enough to be able to visit a Hindu temple on a guided tour. First we took off our shoes. We were told how experts in carving had been invited over to the UK to create the buildings and statues.

Some temples are pure white outside. Ethereal. Pure. Clean.

Other temples I have seen in Singapore are covered in colourful carvings and glittering gold. Happy. Exciting. Mesmerising.

Here's one near Farrer Park station, near Mustafa's department store in Little India. Easy to locate.


Another temple in Singapore I came across by chance when a Toastmasters meeting (which was cancelled) was supposed to be held in a meeting room in an adjoining building. My disappointment at not meeting friends or potential friends for a meeting was mitigated by the discovery of this beautiful temple.

The greeting board outside is very informative, education, interesting. One board gives the history of the building. Another says that all are welcome and all are deemed Hindus. Before entering you turn into the area where shoes are left and wash your feet.

I usually wipe my washable shoes or shoe soles using a wet wipe and maybe the running water. I dry the shoes off surreptitiously. Then wash my hands.

You are then walking around on a cool marble floor. You might find unused airline socks from a long-haul flight come in handy.

I carry a plastic bag with me. I put my washed shoes inside the plastic bag inside my tote bag.

Otherwise you find yourself at the back entrance of the building with a group of people who left their shoes the other side. I did that on my first visit. A helpful guide offered to show me the way from another exit to the bus stop. I had to delay him whilst I asked him to show me the way back to the front entrance to collect my shoes.



The pictures might look very small in the post on your screen. But click on the pictures and they suddenly come up larger so you can see the details, read the plaques and get a slide show. Depending on your device, you may have an icon which goes to full screen.

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.
See me on Amazon books Facebook, LinkedIn, Lulu.com , YouTube.

No comments: