Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Sunday, December 18, 2016

Italian Restaurant, Dona Theresa - why?


Problem
Why did I go back to Dona Theresa a second time in one week? If you enjoy something once, is there a danger that the novelty will wear off?

Answer
Why did I go back? Why not? Different people (except for two), different experience. The menu is varied, and the specials board included new items such as a pecan tart.

Stories
Bread and butter is on the table when I arrive, plus the carrot and celery and a dip. The centrepiece on the table is silver and solid.
Starter
This time I started with smoked salmon and avocado. The salmon was salty enough to be tasty, whilst the avocado was a refreshing contrast and added a healthy touch.

For my main course I had turkey, again. Seasonal turkey will be gone by January, so I might as well take advantage of the option whilst it is available.

Manuel does look after the regulars.

Another table had a birthday. The lights dim. Happy birthday to you plays. Along comes a candle like a flashing firework. I've seen this all many times, here and in other Italian restaurants in Hatch End, for the past thirty years.

However, my Indian friend says he has never been to an Italian restaurant before. He usually eats Indian or Chinese. My right eyebrow is doing a little dance of surprise so I hold it down with my fingertips.

He is also very impressed by the restaurant's Happy Birthday performance.

Another member of our group comments how impressed he is by the mural and the whole atmosphere. Yes, Saturday night when the restaurant is full, when the winter starts so early that the candles and flashing lights are illuminating the dark and the reds and vibrant colours of the restaurants, it is at its best.
Mural
The mural is of Venice and we spend a happy half hour analysing it. There's a lot of it, over two walls. Must have taken ages to paint. I wonder whether it was done using a photo. We discuss the perspective, how the boats on the canal are four different sizes. The largest boat is in the foreground. The smallest ones are along the back.
Prosecco
I order a Prosecco. I used to order kir or kir royale in our local Italian restaurants, every time. For years. But now I am converted to Prosecco. It is not an extravagance. It is cheaper than the kir royale. The pink of rose Prosecco sounds attractive and costs no more. But my companion points out that the pink Prosecco is brut which is the driest, so I opt for the plain Prosecco.

I must have liked it because it all disappeared. (Most dry red wines I am offered sit untouched in my glass or get poured away at a wine tasting.)

This time we play musical chairs which is great because you get to talk to more people. I should have moved more when offered the opportunity earlier.

Desserts
Others opted for Christmas pudding, tiramisu or ice cream. The ice cream, said one person, "is a refreshing end to a meal".

I tried to wear my polite happy face as I broke the bad news to him, heavily censored. I said: "Ice cream is full of calories, all cream, or milk and eggs and sugar, frozen calories."

He didn't offer to share. I should have asked, offered to help him diet. He said he would have liked to have been given a choice of ice creams, as he had three flavours. But he ate every one of them quite happily. He never offered me any.

The lighting is impressive. Some may consider it gaudy, but I thought it was very tasteful and lively and colourful.

We finished with coffee. I had decaff.

Plus, of course, at least one of the mint chocolates. Since you ask, two. You have a choice or orange foil or green foil. Curiously, meaning I am curious as to why, but also it is strange, that I flatten out the foil in the vain hope that I shall save it and use it again to decorate Xmas cards. Yet other diners to do the opposite. They scrunch it up into a tight ball. Sacrilege! Cruelty to foil. I wanted to save it and re-use it. I was foiled.

The toilets are conveniently, if you'll exclusive the pun, on the ground floor opposite the bar. The ladies was enhanced by a pink dancing candle. The supply of toilet paper was copious. About three white rolls, stacked up by your right hand, all vying for attention.

Service is good. The restaurant is just the right size, not too small and not too large. You can always raise your hand and catch the eye of somebody serving, even when they are at the bar at the far end. If you want your food wrapped up to go, no problem. You need a paper bag with handles/ Manuel will fetch you one. (If you can't remember his name, it's Manuel, like the waiter in the TV comedy programme about the restaurant, Fawlty Towers. Still having trouble remembering the name, you need a manual.

If you are a regular, Manuel will greet you warmly and look after you. A very pleasant evening.

I have written other posts on Dona Theresa and the other Italian restaurants in Hatch End in this blog and on TripAdvisor. I also have several posts about my recent trip to Umbria in Italy.
Come back tomorrow. I shall add some more photos of Dona Theresa restaurant.

Dona Theresa, Italian restaurant,
451 Uxbridge Road,
Hatch End,
Pinner,
Middlesex
HA5 4JR
England.
Tel: +44 (0)208421 5550
Website:donatheresa.com

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.
Please like my posts and share them. You can read more about me and link to me and follow me on Facebook and LinkedIn and Twitter and Instagram. You can watch me on YouTube. Read about my books and buy them, new or old, from Amazon and Lulu.com



No comments: