Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, December 26, 2016

We had a wee chat - about Prague's soup in a bread bowl


Problems
1 SCOTTISH ACCENTS
How do you understand a Scottish accent?
2 PRAGUE SOUP IN BREAD
How do you cook or find Prague soup in a bread bowl?

Answers
1 SCOTTISH ACCENTS
I had a wee chat with a big chap from Glasgee. I'll say that again. I had a wee (small) chat with a big chap from Glasgee (Glasgow). (After five minutes chat I can make an attempt at a Glasgow accent. I also have a Scottish friend, Fiona, who I see every year at a Writers' Holiday or a Writers' Summer School. But her accent is Edinburgh. To understand the accent or speak it, repeat what somebody says to yourself a few minutes later. Also listen to the Scottish accent announcers on British television news.

Story
I told him I'd tried the soup in bread in Prague. He has visited Prague several times. His other favourite city is San Francisco, USA.

He said you get the same soup in a smaller bread bowl, more the size of a roll, in America, especially San Francisco.

He says you can also get soup in bread bowls in the UK, and eat the roll.

I asked, "You mean American chains of restaurants in the UK? Can you name one?"
He thinks you can get soup in a bread bowl in Frankie and Benny's.

Tips
LUNCH IN PRAGUE
In Prague some of the restaurants offer a two or three course lunch for little more than the cost of a one course meal.
XMAS ACTIVITY
I thought that you would need to go to a non Christian country to find attractions open on Christmas Day. But places are increasingly opening for the Xmas tourist trade. In Prague the Kafka Museum was open on Xmas Day, shorter hours, but still open.

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, speaker.
See my other posts and blogs. Profiles and posts on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram; performances of poetry and speeches on YouTube. Please follow me, like my posts and if you find a favourite post, share it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value. Im glad to have found this post as its such an interesting one! I am always on the lookout for quality posts and articles so i suppose im lucky to have found this! I hope you will be adding more in the future... Learn Scottish Accent